Question on fish finder on Pontoon Boats

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Dude, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Instead of having the transducer mounted to the pontoon by having a bracket welded on, for the time being would i get away with using a ratchet strap wrapped around the pontoon through the transducer mounting bracket. In the book it says the middle line of transducer should be level with bottom of hull. If its under pontoon will it make a difference.

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Dude. The only reason you have the transducer mounted level with the bottom of the boat is to keep it out of harms way. If you run over anything it will rip the transducer off and probably destroy it. A new transducer last time I check was very costly. I wouldnt take the chance. You might think about using some epoxy or some other way of attaching it to your toon. JMHO

3. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    If i'm understanding you correctly, it should work. But are you sure you want it on the bottom of one of the pontoons?? What if you run over something, will it get knocked off,busted,or lost? As long as It's mounted correctly, horizontally and vertically, you could mount it on a removable stick.

4. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX

Check out Bass Pro or Cabela's, I think they have those removable sticks listed.
    Frank

5. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    You're right Stickthrower, I have seen them in both Cabela's and Bass Pro catalogs. They are more for john boats but I'm sure it could be easily adapted for a pontoon boat...

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jeff, as a temporary measure you could mount one on an aluminum tube, preferably square. If you go to the thread titled, Alternative Catoon anchoring system, there's a pic of how I attached mine to the side rail. I use this one mostly when I'm drift fishing, but I can run with it down also. The best location though, is on the rear of the Toon, slightly below the bottom. I tried mine level with the bottom, but there's to much turbulence that way. I found it worked best about a 1/2inch lower.

7. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    how close to the outboard was it for the turbulance to be bad. Will the epoxy or marine caulk hold up if i drill the transducer to the pontoon? i'M SCARED TO DO THAT TO BE HONEST i COULDN'T FIND THOSE REMOEABLE STICKS ONLINE THAt you were speaking of

8. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    On my pontoon I have two transducers mounted. One is mounted on the rear of the pontoon. I used stainless steel screws for the mounting bracket and then siliconed around the bracket and screws. I have not had any problems with this set up. The bracket is an "adjustable" one so that if I hit something then the transducer will just move up or down. The other transducer is mounted to the front mounted trolling motor and is in use only when I use the trolling motor. If you would like for me to post a pic of how it looks let me know and I will do so. Hope this helps.

9. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    BTW I have had no trouble with turbalence as I have it mounted about 4 inches or so from the bottom of the toon.

10. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i'd like to see those pics if you dont mind. i have been thinking about the same kind of thing on my 12' alum. smei V hull. i want to be able to keep it out of harms way and dont need to drill more holes in my boat. thanks!

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mike, I'd be replacing my transducer quite often if I had it mounted 4" below my tube. It still gets kicked up occasionally, specially when I head up the river. It's probably a little less than 4' from the motor to my tube that has the transducer mounted on it, but the turbulence I seen on my unit was more from the bottom of the tube, with the bottom of the TD level with the tube, the water curling up off of it is what caused it(?). When I lowered the TD, the screen on the unit cleared.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jay, I would be more than hesitant to mount a TD directly to the tube on your Toon, mine too. I read where Jay said that's the way his was mounted with no problems, but if it were knocked off with enough force, it could pull the screws out, leaving holes in the tube. I've lost a TD backing up in the river, it ripped the TD bracket clean off of the bracket it was mounted to. Had it been attached directly to the tube, I'd have had to beat it back to the boat ramp, which wasn't close. I strongly reccomend you have a bracket welded to your tube, and mount your TD bracket there.

13. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    First of all my apoligies as I thought the mount was directly on the toon. My FatherInLaw from whom I bought the boat had a piece added for the transducer (see pic), However we did mount one directly to the back of a almunim j-boat and it was sucessful. Sorry for the mix up as I had my boats crossed.

Attached Files:

14. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    i don't like this # of post rules to respond or download.

15. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    so now i have to post 10 times to coraspond w/ people

16. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    now nine more times

17. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member