Question on filling the gearcase with oil.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Stainless, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I bought me a newer boat a few days ago after getting tired of messing with the old motor. This is a 1991 25H Evinrude. I was going to change the gear oil but I have a question about the directions in the owner's manual. First here is the picture it shows:
    [​IMG]

If I understand this right, it says to fill it from hole #1 until it comes out hole #2. What is the reason for this, is it to make sure you don't over fill it some how or push the air out? I'm going to bypass the recommended lube that it states to use and use what Bubbakat recommends; Castrol Synthetic 80w-90.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    While you are getting the oil go ahead and purchase the small pump that fastens onto the bottle to pump the oil into it. It makes for an easier job and a lot less loss of lube.
    The reason for the bottom fill is to remove all trapped air. Also go to your local shop and get the little fiber gaskets that go around the fill and drain screws.

BTW good picture.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm in total agreement with you Bubba:big_smile: , we surely see Eye to Eye:cool2:

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Elliot I like the syn in the gear box but as for the fuel mix I still have my doubts.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'll stand by your knowledge on that one Bubba, I've got a 4 Stroker, so I don't have to do the mix thing.:tounge_out:

6. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I just got back from WalMart and I couldn't find any Castrol 80w90 synthetic. I believe they did have some Pennzoil in the boating section though. Not for sure if it was synthetic or not. AutoZone and some other part's store didn't have full synthetic either. When you state synthetic Bubbakat, do you mean full or blend? Thanks again.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Corey when you pull that bottom drain plug and you don't get and metal shavings out of it just use the blend.

Now Grey pasty dust in there won't hurt nothing that is natural. Rub it between your fingers and see if it has any bigger Pisces's in it.