Question on drift fishing/Badin

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catamount311, Nov 4, 2009.

1. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When you guys talk about drift fishing, what exactly does this consist of. Do you cast the rods out and then drift, if so how do you keep them from tangling. Or do you just put them straight down close to the bottom? Let me know i just went to bass pro last night and got some pontoon rod holders, the only thing i've been missing to get off my dock. Anyway let me know, i'm going for big cats friday night, then gettin up early morning saturday and pulling bucktails for striper. Let me know, plan on using shad and maybe some cut bream friday night.

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Patrick, There are a number of ways to drift. Some people allow the wind/current to move them along while others use a trolling motor. You obviously want to keep your lines out on the "upwind" side of the boat. I personally keep the lines from tangling by alternating distances from the boat (ie. I'll cast one line out, then simply drop the next one to the bottom, then cast the next one out etc.). If you are fishing in very windy conditions, a drift sock is almost a necessity. There are also a number of different rigs that I use. I made a few slinky weights (these can be purchased already made, but they're expensive) they help avoid getting snagged. A three-way rig with a "sacrificial weight" (lighter leader line to the sinker) helps preserve hooks and floats (attached to bait leader). I'm certainly no expert on drift fishing, but I hope this helps.

3. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I make my own drift weights they are made of #4 buck shot and shoe string look at macs lake norman report thats basically the style weight you need then a 36" leader or adjust to what length you like then a 2" cork 3/4 of the way up from the weight then what ever hook you want depending on what bait and size of fish im after determines the size of hook I use 4/0 to 8/0 circle hooks tie main line to the closest eye on the swivel to the weight then the leader to the outer most eye on the swivel good luck :wink:

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I think there are some articles in the library about drifting.

5. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    When I went with Mac in August , he used planer boards to keep tangles from occurring. This method works pretty well.

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
  7. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Mac, pretty imformative post. I think i'll give it a try now that i have a good depth finder, been working with a 1993 hummingbird. Just got a lowrance x96, pretty sure that will make all the difference.

8. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Here is my drift rig. 1 3/4 oz. pencil weight, 2 1/2 cigar cork,8/0 hook and 50 lb. leader. Hope this helps! If my photo attachment didn't attach pm me and I will send to your personal e-mail address!

9. santeefishhunter

State:
    north caro
    Here is the drift rig I use for drifting if this helps you !

Attached Files:

10. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Kevin you just drop that rig straight down, to right around how deep the water is, or do you cast it out. Seems like you would just drop it straight down but i've been wrong before.

11. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What if i used an egg sinker instead of that pencil weight. Egg sinker, glass bead, swivel. Then rigged the float and circle hook. Should do the same thing right?

12. santeefishhunter

State:
    north caro
    I drift out the back of the boat and stagger the lines. I let the back ones run out probably 100-125 ft. More on windy days. If the rod tips ain't bouncing,I let out more. I do use a drift sock also.

13. santeefishhunter

State:
    north caro
    Egg weights will work if you don't have a lot of hangups!

14. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    To the question about dropping it straight down, it depends for me, on the depth I am targeting. I usually have some staggered in length dragging the bottom, and if the water is deeper or I am targeting suspended fish, I have a couple dropped straight down, not on the bottom. Line counters come in handy here, or drop it til it touches bottom then reel up a couple of turns until it is at the proper depth. If they are straight down, don't use the float on the leader or it will float up along the main line and tangle up very quickly. I typically use slip floats away from the boat, in the situation when I am targeting suspended fish, instead of straight off the side. I don't mine off the side in deep water, but shallower water, I don't want the boat to scare the fish and not find the bait.

15. santeefishhunter

State:
    north caro
    My rods from the middle towards the front are just touching the bottom or suspended.