Question on draining the water?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by davemo, Mar 4, 2007.

1. davemo

davemo New Member

State:
    mo
    Yep this may sound like a simple question to some of you folks but i am going to ask it anyway! I want to start my outboard in my yard with a water muffler attached to the lower unit water intake to see if everything is running good before i take it out on the river.The question is it is still freezing here at night time if i run water thru the outboard then let it drain naturally (motor in boating position not in raised transport position) will that sufiently drain the water from the lower unit and protect it from freezing and possibly cracking the housing??? Thanks for the replys

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep it shure will dave. Just let it saty in the boating position.

3. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    After it drains tap the starter to get the water out of the water pump.

4. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    sure thing dude. I fish year-round, but have a hard time taking the tracker out in colder weather. I keep the motor in the lowered position and start it and run it a bit every couple weeks with the water hose muffler on, just for the heck of it.

Can't wait to get out on the water again, found a few holes just before the deep cold and high winds(that was late december), been hittin from the bank since then..argh!

I know the boat and motor can take the weather, I prefer to be on the bank for the quick retreat home, if needed...lol

cyas
    robert

5. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    You won't have any trouble doing this, the only problem with lower units
    cracking is if the it has water in it. Always check lower units for water in the fall before storing.

6. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Like some said above bump the started a couple of times. Have a safe day.

7. davemo

davemo New Member

State:
    mo
    Thanks for all the replies folks i appreciate it:smile2: