question on cut bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by nitemare_63, Feb 3, 2009.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    when you use cut bait do you have to keep switching out for fresh bait like every 15, 20, or 30 minutes or is it a one time bait your hook for an hour????? i know if you use liver its a constant change for fresh liver like every 20 minutes i was just wondering how cut bait was??? normally i fish for most of the day and i need to know about how much bait i would need to take if i was catching fish or not.....

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i will usually change out cut bait every hour to an hour and a half. you can get away with using it for longer. i have had pieces on there for 3 hours before and caught multiple fish on one piece of cutbait. this is for bluegill. i dont know about shad since we dont have any out here. if you are going to fish all day or all night then 8 to 10 descent sized bluegill should last the whole night.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Depends on your bait supply.... fresher is always better. Cut shad can land me from 15 min to an hour before I change out. You can kind of tell how beaten it looks or if anything is truly left to it while drift fishing (which I primarily do). If the bait looks mangled from scraping rocks and whatever and not much guts or any of the goods left, change it out if you have the spare bait.

You could always also try using Team Catfish Dead Red Blood Spray to re-energize the bait if it has been sitting in the water for a long time. Good thing to have when you have limited bait.

4. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I only fish a spot 20 to 30 min. or till the action stops. When I relocate I switch baits. Most of the time if there are fish present at a spot they will bite in the first few minutes, therefore fresh bait every 20 to 30 min.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Fresh bait is definitely better, and when fishing with rod & reel I'll change it every 15-30 minutes, depending on the setup. When I'm jug fishing, though, changing bait frequently isn't really possible except when I pull in a 'flagged' jug. Then I'll change the bait. If a particular jug goes all day without flagging, it doesn't get the bait changed.

6. Swishersweet

Swishersweet New Member

State:
    Bourbonnais, Illinois
    When I use bluegill heads or shrimp I'll change it out in 20 - 30 minutes. I take the bait that I was using and put it on a flat rock or the cutting board in my boat and set it in the sun for 1/2 an hour to let it naturally stink up a bit. I've caught some mighty nice fish on that recycled bait.:wink:

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    well if you have limited bait what i do is say im using a bluegill head and its been in the water awhile ill shove a dough bait in its mouth or fill the mouth with dip bait that way you get the cats back to the bait.

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    With cutbaits, I like to change them out every 15-30 min. Keeping them fresh is definently the key, like it was said in previous posts. In the heat of the summer, I like to carry a small lunch cooler with ice or ice pack to keep the bait fresher. Shad loose their smell after a few minutes in the water and I change bait rather frequently. Baits like cut bluegill, shimp, I'll keep on the hook longer. Around 30 min or so, then change them out. Keep the fish interested!!:wink:

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I usually change my cut baits about every other 20 to 30 minute drop. Fresher IS better.

Bill in SC

10. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I think there does become a point where the bait loses its effectiveness, but I think it takes longer than 15 to 30 minutes to do so. I've seen and quite a few dead bodies through the years in my career. It seems the longer the time they are exposed, the stronger the odor. Some of them have been in water for several days, and let me tell you, the scent isn't weak. Sorry for being morbid here, and don't mean to gross anyone out, but i think it relates to cut bait too.

11. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I've stuffed pieces of bluefish into a sunny head also filled up a cut piece those oils and scent filling the water draws em in every time

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    With cutbaits, I like to change them out every 15-30 min. Keeping them fresh is definently better . After a hour theres no bite I will change spots . Another thing I will keep doing is fishing for bait . Where I fish there is usually a shad school swarming close to the top of the water and it comes near me a few times a day so I keep a pole with a big treble hook on it and snag in a few everytime they come around . I use this method to not disturb my poles I have set . Plus I suck at throwing a net lol .

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <It seems the longer the time they are exposed, the stronger the odor. Some of them have been in water for several days, and let me tell you, the scent isn't weak. Sorry for being morbid here, and don't mean to gross anyone out, but i think it relates to cut bait>

I'm not so sure, but I personally think catfish prefer FRESH bait, rather than rotted or old bait. The issue here is that the fish's body oils leech out pretty quickly when cut up and exposed to water. The more oil that's in the bait, the fresher the scent, thus resulting in the best chance to attract a fish.

Bill in SC

14. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    change it up when you think the bait looks beat up and water logged... when it looks real white and full of water means that most of the taste and smell is out of it.....pretty much like boiling steak!! not very apealing

15. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    You may be right Bill.

16. Personally,

I prefer to keep the bait oily and appealing to the Cat's.
    If no more bait is available, I grab the Dead Red Blood spray {Team Catfish}.