Question on chum for catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by natethe great, Mar 3, 2008.

1. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    hey guys i was wondering what ud use to chum for cats if ive already drilled descent sized holes in a 5-gallon bucken:tounge_out: i dont know if i shoud try to freeze shad in um or when if u have any advice please let me know:big_smile:

2. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    try the catfish connetion website Dode. They have a list of chums that you could use.:wink:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use to sour chops in the hot summer. Chops is just ground corn, put in a bucket and fill with water and let it get ripe in the sun. Whole corn fills the fish up to quick but it will work,

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Dog food or horse feed works pretty good.

We used to bait feeder creeks running into the river with an onion bag filled with cans of dog and cat food. Just poke holes in the cans with a nail or drill and bag them up. Tie the bag on a rope and throw it shallow water that runs out into the river or lake. This bait will leach wonderful (to a catfish) smells for days. We always baited a couple of days before we planned to fish. There were always fish in the area.

5. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    we used dogfood and meal cakes. but 5 gallons is alot. maybe about a gallon would be enough. worked good first couple days then garr and suckers were all over it. we would pull it up and go bait a different spot. We never caught bigger fish but could catch tons of eater fish.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Take chicken scratch and sour for a few days and place in bucket with medium to small holes . Will draw baitfish and cats. Good luck.

7. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Like they said use dog food in the can. I just punch holes in the cans and tie a rock to the can to sink it.

8. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I have a couple of methods I use, at my lake house I use a 8" pvc pipe 10ft long and drill holes all in it and have it tied to my dock where I put dried dog food in it. It draws the bait fish and the predators do follow. If I am in my boat and anchored I use a bag of catfish cum and cut slits in the bag and tie it to my down rigger and drop it to the bottom. Good luck to you but chumming does work.

9. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have gone to grain dealers and cleaned out there auger sumps. You get all kinds of rotten grain. It works great for chum. Only thing is you want to use a covered container because anything it comes in contact with stinks for a long long Time.

10. michael357mag

michael357mag New Member

State:
    texas
    I have used milo and wheat mixed together, fill a 5 gal. bucket till it's about 1" to 2" above the grain and let sit about a week. It does a good job.

11. cods

cods New Member

State:
    Texas
    milo and range cubes make sure they are 20% protein.

12. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    milo, range cubes, chicken scratch and dog food in a 1 gal ice cream bucket, add a beer and some garlic, vanilla and red cool-aid, set in sun for a week and punch holes in it tie off or throw th whole thing in a day or two before you fish, works fine for me. my bait of choice when using this chum is chicken hearts or gizzards marinated in vanilla, garlic and red cool-aid over night. u can clean house of all th 3-7 pounders, once caught one over 12 lbs but thats rare.