Question on catfishing rigs

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Mar 16, 2006.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont use a swivel so to keep my sinker off my hook and bait off the bottom i have been using a split shot.This has not been working very well,everytime i cast the split shot slips all the way down to the hook.Is there anything else i can use to keep my sinker up?

2. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Yes,... try a bead and a bobber stop in between your hook and weight. Clinching the weight with needle nose pliers couldn't hurt either. I can keep 4 0z weights off of my hook with a bead/stop so I don't see why you couldn't keep split shot off of it.

3. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I would tie a stop using braid and a double over hand loop to what ever depth you want to fish at! this can then be picked off and re-tied if you wish to alter the depth.

failing that use several shot so as they act as a buffer, one shot slides to the other on the cast and stops at the depth you want to fish when the bait enters the water.

4. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    would the bobber stop work on a 1 ounce egg sinker though?If it does im in buisness

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use as much as 2oz under a slip float. Most stops will hold that much.

6. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    brinley - just a question - why dont you use a swivel?

7. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Without the swivel i can feel the light bites better,its more sensative.

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I like using swivels with a seperate leader because I like making my leader out of slightly lighter line. That way when I get snagged, the leader will usually break first and I get my rig back. Another tip I got from DH and Dademoss is to pre make my leaders for the season and keep them in little mini ziplock bags. So when a leader breaks, just snip the swivel off and pull a new leader out of a bag, tie it on and back in business.

9. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I like to use a Carolina keeper to keep the lead off knot when not using a swivel.