Question on Catfish Re-bites/Sensitivity

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dcaruthers, Jul 14, 2006.

1. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have always been curious as to how long a cat takes to recoop from being hooked before he will eat again. I'm talking a serious hookset and fight before getting off due to several reasons.

I am going out fishing with a friend tonight. Him and his son went last night and had their lines broken 3 times - their reels were spooled with 4 year old Spiderwire.

My friend has new line on his reels now and I am joning him at the same location with the same baits. I was wondering, provided that the cats are still in the area, if they clam up for a few days after getting hard hooksets and short fights.

2. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Can't say for all cats but...last year my uncle and i were out and he hooked into a good one. Fought it for 5 maybe 10 min. until it broke his line. He had another pole rigged up and ready to go so i told him to throw it right back in where he was just at. Gill on there sat maybe a min. before clicker started going nuts. Got the fish in and i was going to pull the hook out. Was the one from his other pole that was just broke. A flattie weighing 33lbs. So i believe chances are good those cats will be ready to bite again.

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Roger...needed that for incentive.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    ihave caught the same fish over and over before. when they are hungry they will eat. They don't have the nervous system for prolonged pain.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    From my experience, twice I have seen a flathead caught not even 10 minutes after being hooked the first time.

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have had two instances where there is good evidence that they should still bite. One time a few years ago we were fishing in a flathead tournament on a local lake. I had two rods out with perch on both. I fell asleep in my chair about 2am, and woke up about 4:00. While I was sleeping one of my lines had obviousley been moved, so I picked it up and took the slack out of the line, felt the fish, and set the hook. When I did that, my other pole slid across the rocks, so I set the pole with the hooked fish down and picked it up. I again felt the fish, and set the hook! DOUBLE!!! I yelled, waking my brother up who was also asleep in his chair. I faught the fish in, about a 10lb flathead, and was getting ready to pick up the other rod with the "other" fish on it. I looked the little guy over first, and lowe and behold, there were two lines coming out of his mouth!! I followed the other line back to the water, it was from my other pole! That little mother had swallowed BOTH of my perch, hook and all!

The other case was in the same tournament, you have to release the fish alive after weigh in for the fish to count. The fish are all released in the same area, off of a boat ramp. One year, a kid was fishing from the boat dock while he was waiting for his dad to load the boat up that evening, and he caught a 17lb flathead on a worm and bobber! The flathead had a large hole, still red and raw, in his bottom lip from where he had been on the stringer from the night before, and released that morning after the weigh in. If that did not make his mouth to sore to eat, nothing will!:eek:oooh:

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive caught the same cat 2-3 times before. The hole of the hook was in the exact same place as the last fish, also have done this with bass.

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    We had lines cut on rocks 3 times one night the 4th fish hit I got it in and there where the other 3 hooks in it's mouth, this all took place in about and hour.