Question on carp

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dcastle, Jul 20, 2007.

1. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually use shad, goldfish and crawdads for bait. I've noticed that a lot of you use carp. I would like to give them a try. Is there a place in the Kansas City area where a person can buy them or catch them?

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Behind just about any wing dam you will find those stupid things. They do make good bait. The common carp makes good bait too.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Last weekend, while fishing the Mo. River near Dalton (good place to go, no traffic yet) we started to run low on perch, so we took our castnet, and threw it in this slough, and got a whole bunch of medium sized shad, baby asian carp, carp, and buffalo. Caught fish on all of it. Didn't seem to matter which we baited with. Results were the same as far as I could tell. The baby asians are as good as shad IMO.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Careful with the baby asian carp...

New MDC regulation this year prohibits using them as *live* bait. You can kill 'em and do whatever you want, but don't get caught with a live one in your boat.

The reasons are obvious -- imagine someone catching some baby carp on the river, heading to a lake somewhere to use them and either dumping the leftovers or letting a couple "accidentally" get away. We've suddenly got asian carp infesting a new location.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    We had 2 conservation agents check every boat below the dam last night and one of the first things they asked was what are you useing for bait.
    I had just filleted a big common carp and he was looking at it.
    We sure dont need them dam silvers infesting other waters.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you, and I am aware of this regulation. We just threw them in a small cooler on ice, and cut them up as needed. None of them survived more than a few minutes. Thanks for giving everyone the heads up because yes, they all need to die. They are good bait, and next time I go fishing on the river, I will likely target them specifically to kill them, and bait my hooks. I wouldn't show up to the river baitless, but when given the chance, I will harvest as many of these pests as possible for bait purposes.:wink:

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I thought the regulation was that you could not have them alive unless you are on a body of water that has them. So if you are on the mississippi or missouri having them alive would be legal but off the water or a body of water where they are not native it was illegal

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    3 CSR 10-6.605 Live bait:

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Based on my observations at smithville spillway,you might want to try some of the Korean resturants :)

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    They all need to die!!!!!! I guarantee if one ends up in my boat, it's gonna die. In fact my boat could use a good cleaning. I've been catching a crap load of baby asians, I mean hundreds at a time in my net. Them things get trapped in every nook and cranny in the boat. Then they start stinking.:angry:It's a funny thing though, I was at Mark Twain this weekend, and I am so used to fishing the rivers, that I was constantly watching my back for jumping carp. :embarassed:I guess it's just something that I have accustomed myself too. I had to laugh at myself, and it was awful nice not having them stupid things jump in my boat.

11. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We had one of those H U G E ones take a flying leap at my boat. Sucker leaped, hit the water, ADJUSTED HIS COURSE, and RAMMED THE BOAT MID FLIGHT! I honestly though for a second that it was staring at me as it was preparing for it's second jump, and he looked mad and exited. What is THAT all about!!!???!!!???!!! Like it was possessed or something!!!

I'm telling you - that thing was every big of 60 lbs!!! I know they get bigger, but it was the biggest I have ever seen ATTACK!

I did forget to mention that I had one about 5 lbs jump up and hit me in the mouth mid sentence when my mouth was open. I have to say...I don't see why a catfish would bite that...they don't taste very good at all. All I could do was spit. My buddy kept laughing at me to the point that he couldn't even breathe. It was gross, but that made me laugh too! I'm almost glad that xOZx wasn't there because that would have been something that he would have N E V E R let die!