Question on baits

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ar_confederate, Nov 14, 2005.

1. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    I'm relatively new to catfishing. This weekend, I was trotlining and tried 3 different baits. One was minnows, one was commercial stink bait (Catfish Charlies) and the last was fish innards. The only thing that we caught fish on were the minnows. I'm wondering if the commercial bait is any good at all. Has anyone had luck with it? I had one recommendation for Danny King's punch bait. If you've had luck with it, which flavor? Thanks.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Danny king catfish punch bait blood has put loads of fish in my boat . I use it on all of my guide trips as a starter bait to put fish in the boat fast. And cut bait will do great shad,carp,bluegill and i do alot of mackerel .

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, when trotlining, you have to make a compromise between the bait's attractiveness to cats, other creatures, the bait's ability to stay on the hook a long time, and the frequency with which you check your trotlines.
    It's nice to have a bait that the catfish love, but what if other fish and turtles love it even more, and eat it off the hook so quickly that the cats don't really have a chance to eat it? That isn't so much of a factor if you're checking your lines every couple of hours, but if you are only checking them once a day, it could be extremely important. In that situation, I often use garlic flavored chitlings, salt pork, bacon, or even soap.
    I'm a firm believer in trying different baits till I find something that works well for me, but I don't experiment with more than a couple of baits at a time, three at most. It's just too easy to introduce additional variables if you try too many new baits at a time, plus it gets more difficult to keep track of what each hook was baited with. Often, when trying a new bait, I'll simply put that bait on every third hook, with the other hooks baited with my regular bait; that gives the test bait a really good try against a standard.
    Where possible, my favorite bait for trotlines is the same as for jugs or rod & reel: skipjack or fresh cut shad. The skipjack can be frozen, but I've had such poor results from frozen shad that I won't even bother to try freezing it anymore.
    If I feel I have my lines in a spot that should produce fish, but I'm not catching any, I start experimenting with different baits. If that doesn't work, I move the lines to another spot.
    I've never been able to catch a catfish on any commercial bait. I did catch a bream once on Benny Roberts' punch bait.

4. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    I love live goldfish as bait on trot lines. They stay alive for a long time, and have a higher probability of catching large fish. I also use garlic salt/sun cured chicken livers, after hooking them i wrap them with sewing thread to keep them on the hook. Make sure to try different depths and always tie off to something that has a little give, like a tree limb, so that if you hook a really big one he can tire himself out without yanking out the hook. I am partial to natural baits, I use prepared baits mainly for channel cat fishing for supper time. Good luck!

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i have used cut shad an skipjacks fresh an frozen. an have done good, all my frozen bait i use a food vacum seller an it works wonders after thawing its like it was still fresh. i highly recomend investing in a food saver, its the only way i will keep any fish ,deer meat ,turkey ,or bait fish. after useing food saver now for alittle over a year now i wonder how i ever went with out it

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I've used a few of those com. baits,never got the 1st hit on them. I've used chicken livers,cut and whole blue gills & shad and done well with all 3 of those.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    ar confederate, Try to match the bait that is most abundant in the area that you are fishing. we have alot of shad in our waters and shad make a great jug or trot lone bait here.

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :) Go to the sponsor {danny King} and read the testamonials'....as far as his punch bait goes I don't leave home with out it....It is the best catfish bait i ever used!

9. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I have found a couple of commercial dip and punch baits that work pretty well in the waters I fish.

It funny how catfish will change their mind on what they want to eat from one location to another and from hour to hour in the same location. I have one dip bait that works well in one lake and I have not had any luck with it anywhere else. For this reason it is pretty hard to recommend a commercial bait to anyone. What works for me may not get them the first strike.

Cats are kinda picky eaters sometime. I just keep trying new things trying to find that "Magic" bait.

10. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I enjoy using the garlic flavor DK. Original works great also. Like Cornhusker said, what works for me may not work for you, however, if you do a search on here on danny king you will see alot of folks from all over have done real well using it. I like the way it stays on the hook. And it loads on the hook easy for me also.

11. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    BACON... that's what me and my buddy have been having our luck on. We just won a biggest cat tourny. using it not too long ago. The best part about bacon (to me anyways) is the fact that it stays on your hook REALLY well if you put it on right.

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Lots of great baits in here some i will try out here. Catfish can change bait many times in a day so i always have 3 or 4 different baits in my boat. I use danny kings , chicken hearts, and cut mackerel all the time will net some shad for cut bait or bluegills at time . But everyday can be different and they can change bait so fast. I hane saw people stop fishing and head home but if they would just change bait they would find the fish have changed .

13. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Tim, I totally agree. When the bite stops I try to find something else they want. Sometimes I do and sometimes I give up and go home. I have been trying all kinds of baits for channels. Perhaps the the biggest surprise I have had was catching channels on Wheaties + garlic juice dough balls AND whole kernel corn when carp fishing. My last blue gill trip hooked a couple of channels in the 2 # range on wax worms about 12" under a bobber.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Top is right about matching the bait that's available where you're fishing, at least for a starting point. And most of the time, that's what will work best. Every once in a while, however, you'll run into a situation where that bait just won't work. Once, while trotlining Lake Ouachita, cut shad wouldn't produce a single fish; switching to fresh chicken livers got us a nice mess for a fish fry. Since Lake Ouachita has a very large shad population, I was surprised at that at the time. At the Dardanelle Gathering, while drift fishing below the dam, the only bait that really produced was cured chicken livers. Usually, on the Arkansas River, if you've got skipjack or fresh shad, you won't find a better bait. But not that day. Before that, I often floated down the river for a day's fishing with no bait in the boat but a bucket of fresh caught shad.

15. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    I wanted to thank all of ya'll for taking the time to answer a beginner's question. I've gotten some good ideas that'll I'll try on my next trip. We didn't catch many fish the other night but had a great time anyway. We had a nice campfire and great weather. :D

My 83 year old aunt is coming up for Thanksgiving and she wants to go run some trotlines too! With your advice, maybe we can catch a few catfish. Thanks again!

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When you're experimenting with new baits, have some scheme that lets you keep track of what bait is on what hook; otherwise, you end up catching fish, but not knowing what bait you caught them on. I never like to try more than 3 baits at a time. That way, I can put bait #1 on the first hook, bait #2 on the second hook, and bait #3 on the third hook; then keep repeating in the same order till I get to the end of the line. Generally, I'll bait with shad or skipjack, and try one experimental bait on every third or fourth hook. That lets me test the one experimental bait against a bait I have confidence in. If nothing hits the shad/skipjack, I don't think anything if the experimental bait gets no hits; maybe the fish weren't hitting anything at all. But if I catch fish on the shad/skipjack, that lets me judge the effectiveness (or lack) of the experimental bait in relation to my old standard.
    From the posts I've been reading, the best fishing seems to be in the shallows right now.

17. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I personally have never caught anything on com baits. Haven't even caught a cat on livers :confused: . All we ever use is live minnows, shad, and worms. Seems to be all that works around the house.

Matt