Question on AZ flatheads.

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Sean, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Do our flatheads hibernate in the winter? Are they more active because of the warmer weather we have down here? Curious.

Your opinions and experience is :0a31: .

2. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I don't think they hibernate but, like all warm water fish they become less active when the water cools down. That is why fall fishing can be so good. They are trying to pack on the weight before the onset of cooler weather. Hope this helps....azcatman

3. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I don't think they do. I don't usually fish for them in the cooler months but I have talked to many that do. As the water cools down, so does their matabolism so they are not as active as they are in the summer months. As a result, their needs are not as great and they feed less often but they do still feed. Make the bait easy to get to so they don't have to expend a lot of energy. Calmer water can be a likely spot. Also, I usually fish at night in the summer for flats, but in the cooler moinths they also feed during the day so thats a good time for them. Some guys swear by fishing for them, especially the big ones during winter. I haven't tried it myself.
    :cool:

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Here is one photo from Bartlet lake this past December 23rd. You can have luck all year round when fishing for Flats here in AZ.. The water temp can get cold but never cold enough to turn the big cats away from an easy meal.. Usualy (for me anyways) a dark night any time of the year is a good time to go flathead fishing..

Attached Files:

5. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I don't know about the flatheads but I'm fairly certain a good number of fishermen hibernate during the cold months. That cold really bites through you. My hat's off to anyone who braves a Demember night on the water!

6. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    There is no such thing as winter in south-central Arizona. :cool:

7. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    hey AZflats, where did you catch those beauties?

8. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Azflats how deep do you fish in the winter, same or deeper?

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Sorry for delay in my reply..
    You can generaly fish your gillies deeper during the cold months becouse the water is more oxigenated. But as the Catman mentioned above, they are just less active.. You realy want to move a few times during the night to find productive waters.
    As far as depth.. I always fish as deep as I can.. If the blue gill is not moving at the end of my line.. It's too deep.. Look for sandy beaches with big boulders and you will find catfish..

10. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    azflats you ever fish the colorado river. winter or summer, if ya have you had any luck in the winter time

11. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I have lived in AZ for most my life and never tried fishing for flatheads any where other that Bartlett and Roosevelt. Pleasant on occation; but I have never had luck for flatheads there/

I have although heard some stories about the monsters people catch in the Colorado river..

:confused: Not sure why I never have, any good stories? Where on the river do you fish?

12. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    fish blythe area most of the time north of the 10freeway to the palo verda dam, I was out there last weekend dude got 44 & 35 the big one in the outfall canal at 1pm in the afternoon and one on the river at nite

13. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Nice,
    I have never fished for the flathead on rivers. Even though these are river fish.. It is hard to find something writen on catching flatheads in reservoirs.. They all talk about river fishing for flatheads.. They say that during the day, flatheads will stick themselves in brishpiles on the bottom in areas with little current.. If you can get you bait to find their faces, they will bite it.. During the night, they scavenge and hunt..

I would say that there are two differnt types of flatheads in our large lakes like Bartlett and Roosevelt: reservoir, and river.. They both stay in those areas all year. The river fish and reservoir fish behave the same though. They go deep during the colder months and during the day. But they only go shallow enough to find prey. In the summer time they need to go very shallow to find carp and gillies in very shallow water..
    * I find that if I fish the deepest possible water with the most conducive conditions, like large bolders on gravel/ I can be productive year round..