question on 60 hp mercury

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Earl1, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Earl1

Earl1 New Member

State:
    wooodbridg
    my motor is not charging my battery. the gps reads 11.6 volts at full speed or idle. any ideas on the problem or is it time to go to the shop

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would say you recetfier is shot. Test it and see if its bad. In the outboard section search for testing recetfier and it should bring up my test procedure.

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Does your Tachometer work? I also have a 60 hp Merc and mine quit charging and my tach wouldn't work. After trouble shooting I found I had fried a couple of wires coming out of the rectifier. I spliced them back together and everything started working again.

I have the manual for my motor so if you need something looked up let me know. I would start by removing the cowling and checking the wiring coming from the rectifier going to the voltage regulator.

Let me know if you need anything.

4. Earl1

Earl1 New Member

State:
    wooodbridg
    tech is not working wires look good unpluged and repluged still do not work donot know how to check the black box but it sounds as if its gone

5. Earl1

Earl1 New Member

State:
    wooodbridg
    i cant see the rectifier now i see a block just below regulator box but it only has 2 wires one large red and another wire its raining now so i check between rain drops so i cant look to long at one time

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Ken. Thanks for helping.

7. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Also check the wires coming out of the stator going into the rectifier...look close to make sure they aren't grounded out. Just a thought.

8. Earl1

Earl1 New Member

State:
    wooodbridg
    looked and moved all wires did not see rectifier only saw a unit with 2 wires on it below reg. all wires look good nothing looked grd no frayed wires

9. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    could the regulator have a built in rectifier? And should it put out 14.4 volts?

10. Earl1

Earl1 New Member

State:
    wooodbridg
    thanks to bomberman the regulator has been replaced and the problem is gone another great job by a boc brother and a good old penna boy thanks again :big_smile::big_smile: