question on 4x4 driving

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Kutter, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sometimes, when crossing a mud hole or wet ditch, it is better to go slow, other times fast. Is there any type of rule of thumb to follow?

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    foe me if it's deep lil faster than usual , but it has too be pretty deep before i mess with the 4x4 . other than that take everyhing on in 2x until 4x4 is needed .

3. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    fast enough for your momentum to carry you through the hole, but slow enough that you remain safe. if you crawl through or stop its easy to get stuck. plus its more fun throwing mud

4. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Demetrius:
    if you find yourself sitting in a hole that requires 4WD, you will have to stop completely switch into 4 wheel drive, then continue going again. that way you are going to lose all momentum and its hard for a truck to pull out that way. why not use 4high? same gearing as 2 wheel drive and just as easy to drive

5. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    just a bad habit , picked it up off the ol' faher n law .

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well i can solve your problem. buy a ford and you wont ever have to use 4wheel drive except for pulling out them gmcs and chevys lol. ford will go through anything!

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Oh, I'm well aware what Fords can do. My Chevy pulls them out every year at deer camp.:wink:

8. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas

hmm, must be them weird people putting them chevy motors and other chevy parts on em. a true ford (like my ranger) wont get stuck lol

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    GMC is all I gotta say

Attached Files:

10. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Kutter:

11. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas

i got better tires on my ranger. that thing is way to heavy.

12. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Kutter: Wow...I just wrote a paragraph reply and it would not let me add it....let me try again...this is going to be a quick version.

Use a poking stick to investigate new mud holes. (On Foot)
    Dirty water on soft shallow mud = slow.
    Thick sticky mud = fast.
    Wet ditches ALWAYS = slow.
    4WD-Lo on steep ground or loose sand, less than 15 MPH.
    Use 4WD frequently, that's why you paid for it.
    2WD before mud = Stuck fast & easy. Once stuck 4WD probably won't get you out.
    4WD before mud = Stuck not so fast & not so easy. Greater chance of success.
    Hope This Helps...Hope I Didn't Miss Anything :wink:

13. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Got to have tires that will clean when spun. And then have the power to spin them. I like the narrow tires that dig. But the wide floaters are fun. Since the late seventys chevys been building cars shaped like pickups . If you want something that will work hard & play hard & and last , and hold up , you better go with FORD.

14. BACKWOODSBOY350

BACKWOODSBOY350 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    GO FAST ENOUGHT TO KEEP YOUR TIRES CLEANED OUT IF YOU DONT HAVE ENOUGH WHEEL SPED YOU WILL PACK THE VOIDS AND THEN YOUR RUNNIN SLICKS SO CONSISTANCY OF THE MUD VITAL

15. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Old Jeep club motto "As slow as possible , but as fast as nesassary".

16. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    You have to have ground clearance, you can not get the frame on the
    ground. I think everything else is 30% truck and 70% tires. You can have
    the baddest 4x4 around with wore out mud tires and you are stuck.

17. chris_ce

chris_ce New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Cattin Jeep nailed it. But for a ditch hit it on a diagonal one tire at a time.

18. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Dont know why but the lot beside my house is sandy an that is where we park my boat an the car trailers an the car clubs trailer ,i can back up to any of the trailers an pull it out 99% of the time .Our next door neighbor has a ford pickup an i have to pull him out 50% of the time he backs in there ,an it,s not just him it's as if that lot like to eat fords .Gmc,s rule that lot :wink::smile2:

19. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I am glad you said that Kutter, So I didn't have to.You want to see four wheel drive in Action, Take em to the sand dooms and see who is pulling who out.

20. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    dude......been muddin in the gumbo swamps of the south for years........always with a monster mudder.....tak a look at my fully frame off restored power wagon.........can also hear the 408 stroker at www.cardomain.com/rabidram:wink: i have 2 yamaha grizzlys...trust me.....the key to it is....take them easy at first and save the torque for when you need it............if you hit them wide open you have no pedal to play with.......as long as you can keep:wink: the tires moving youre not stuck!