Question: How to catch Skipjacks?

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by treemydog, Jan 11, 2009.

1. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    I would like to hear how you folks go about catching Skipjacks.

I have always used shad, but from what I understand these skipjacks can be even better bait.

I live at Conway and at times fish around Murray, Toadsuck, Morrilton, and Dardanelle.

If you have a specific lure, bait, or technique that works for you, and do not mind sharing this info, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Tommy,

Welcome to the BOC. It's really great to have another arkie here also.

Most of the time for skip jacks most will use sabiki rigs. These are found in saltwater tackle areas of your sporting goods stores, or you can order them from various places online. Most like to use the chartreuse or white sabiki rig jig colors. Especially those with red heads. However a lot of times you can catch them with crappie jigs in the same colors. Just tie two, three or four on your line and cast out and reel in through the swift water below a dam or below a hot water outlet.

You can also use small spoons to catch them with. I personally have never tried the spoons yet but have friends here that swear by them.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Forgot to mention that we are planning on having a sinker making gathering up at nuke 1 soon. The tentative date was for next sat. the 17th but may get changed due to weather.

We were planning on making sinkers, fishing for skips, and catfish while there.
    Hope you can join us.

If you think you would like to attend this gathering just keep watch on the nuke 1 report thread in the arkansas area of the forum. If we reschedule we will post it there.

Again glad to have ya aboard.

P.S. Check out the member library. There is tons of ideas and instructions for all kinds of different things pertaining to catfishing and tackle etc.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    welcome to the B.O.C. I have a few questions. Do you have a boat? can you get off from work during the week? I seem to be the unofficial skip jack guide for this area.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  6. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    Welcome to the boc, I look forward to meeting you at the sinker making

7. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    Thanks for the welcome and the info everyone.

Yessir TopSgt, I do have a boat. Would really like to get together with you sometime soon.

I am free almost everyday, for now anyway. I got downsized last week. :confused2:

I'll do my best to make it to the sinker making gathering. I have a 5 oz do-it mold and some lead I can bring if I can find them.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Welcome to the BOC from Beebe

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Give me a call at 1-479-293-0080, trip set up

10. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    tommy ,welcome to the boc . and its is nice to see the growing population of arkansas members on here . if you ever get around pinebluff area look me up for some fishing on the river and we will go ---------------robert

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Tommy! One thing about skipjack is that they freeze much better than shad, which turn red & mushy when you thaw them out. There will also almost certainly be at least one gathering over at Pickwick on the Tennessee River this spring/early summer for stocking up on skipjack. Do you strictly rod & reel fish, jug, trotline, or what?

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Another welcome to the BOC Tommy.

13. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    Jerry, I mostly rod & reel fish, but I like to do all that stuff.

Thanks again to everyone for the big welcome. Looking forward to meeting some new friends at the sinker making.

Tommy

14. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    A hearty welcome from Harrison Tommy!
    Catchin Skips is a blast! best bait of all and is free!

15. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    The number of replies to this quetion has been awesome.

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful!

16. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Tommy - where are you from in Arkansas?
    Maybe you can hook up with some of us and fish sometime.

17. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    I live close to Conway. I would like to fish with some of you folks. Been talkin to TopSgt about going with him to the nuke plant when it warms up a little.

18. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    hello all yall down arkansas i hope to get down that way some time to fish for those mighty jacks let me know what kind of drive i can look forward to pm me please because i dont always watch out of state threads

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    coming out of kansas you probably gonna hit interstate 40 so just head east and when you get to arkansas look for the london exit just fore you get to russellville.if you come before winter loses its grip the discharge at nuke one is the place to be.if you wait till summer give me a hollar and ill meet you at barlin arkansas and help you catch some.

20. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC Tommy from Timbo, Arkansas. When I fish Ormond on Ark river, we might hook up and try the powerhouse. 24th sounds great but may be duck hunting with my son!:embarassed: Need skips and would really like to meet everyone. More later:wink: