Question for you !

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Naack, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    ok i live and fish in SW PA we have Flattys and Channels and a rumor of Blue cats from long ago .... well Flat fishing the other day i cought something that seemed a bit odd for me this fish weighed 33lb06oz well for a channel that would be 2 lbs shy of a state record but our state record was a stocked fish... Mostly you wont catch a channel more than 15lbs and you are REALY lucky to catch one 20lbs so my Question is.... is this a Blue? i have a link of my post on the PA boards

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82721

i also have a Pic on this thread http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78663&page=27

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    rounded anal fin and head shape... i say that is a huge female channel cat! good catch bud!

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with Jordan, thats a hawg of a channel cat:cool2:.

4. Hoosier_Catman

Hoosier_Catman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Definitely a Channel Cat. Im 'almost' 100% sure. Wow. Whata catch. Congrats. That beats my PB Channel by 20 lbs. lol. Good Luck Fishin to ya bro.

5. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Thanks guys .. i had never seen a Channel that big or have never cought a Blue like i said and at 1 time PA did stock Blues around where i cought it so i was realy confused cause i fish Primarly for Flats

Thanks for clearing this up for me..:big_smile: :cool2:

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    just remember this- a channel has a rounded anal fin and ablue has an angled anal fin. especially in the spring, channels can take on a blue coor during the spawn, and blues can get more of a slate color, causing a lot of confusion in identifying the two.

7. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That is a nice channel, congrats

8. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    That is the craziest thing I have ever seen! You are the man! I wonder what crazy fish you will catch tonight, I would say good luck but, I don't think you need it...LOL

9. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Nice channel! The biggest channel I've caught was just shy of 21lb.

10. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Nice channel cat! Does PA have a big catch award/program? That one should definitely qualify! Keep doing what you are doing and who knows, you may break that record!

11. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    nice catch i think a channel has 23 ribbed anal fin and a blue cat has more then 23 rib's:big_smile:

12. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    their is no program that i am aware of.. if i took that fish to a certified scale im sure i would get some kind of reward but i was realy short on time i had to get to the airport and it was my last rod out and i got the hit about 1 min before i was pulling it out lol

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
  14. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    First let me say that is a true hog. Smokes my PB of 23lbs. Second let me say welcome to the BOC hall of fame...............Submitt That Fish!!!!!! You may retire at the top with that one. Reps to you Bro.

Richard

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Wow...Thats a fish of a life time, certainly one to be proud of. That's a channel all right. A blue that big wouldn't be that color at all. The young blues and channels look a like while the blues are young. At that weight a blue cat would be on the blue side.

Congrats..
    -Jim-

16. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Wow that one heck of a channel cat:big_smile_2:congrats on a fine catch.

17. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Has anyone noticed that as a channel gets bigger the whole appearance changes?

• the spots disappear, almost like a deer
    • the head changes shape
    • color changes
    • even the body shape changes to some extent
    I have caught bigger channel, and it sometimes is hard to tell, other than the rounded anal fin.

I wonder is that due to the environment or is it due to the diet?

18. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
  19. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for sharing. Great fish. :big_smile: