Question for you LA folks

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by solomon, May 20, 2008.

1. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    In Louisiana, how would you go about registering a boat trailer that was bought from another state but was never registered in that state?

2. Igottheblues!

Igottheblues! New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisia
    Not for sure about a boat trailer, but I bought a truck from Texas one time and had to register it in my name in Texas, and then transfer it to Louisiana when I got the title back, a kinda double transfer type of deal. You may be able to bypass doing that, I'm just not sure how though !
    P.S. NICE BUCK !:big_smile:

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    It's not for me. I sold my boat and trailer to a guy from LA and I think he's having trouble getting the trailer registered.

4. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    Here is a site that sort of explains what needs done. That means if I ever move back to LA, I may have trouble getting mine titled there. I just move the license plate from one trailer to another. Might not work there.

Will

5. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Hmm. Thanks for the info. That might be tough.

6. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    My trailer was purchased used in Tx, but, due to their minimum weight limit it had not been registered. It was not difficult to get it registered in LA. I took it to the State Police troop office and they had to verify the serial number info/model/etc. That, along with the notorized bill of sale to verify ownership was all I needed at motor vehicle dept. I don't recall whether I had to pay some sales tax on it or not. It wasn't too bad.

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Pay the right guy $100

8. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    :crazy:You SOLD your BOAT????? I hope you mean a "2nd boat", or a spare boat? Surely not your ONLY boat!!!!

9. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    Well, I got to thinking about the possibility of ending up in LA in a year or two. So, I went back and got the lady to sign paperwork on the trailer. I'll put value at minimum ($50) and transfer the registration to my name. I'll be paying tax on that $50 again, but it will be worth it in the long run. Glad this subject came up when it did. It is very easy to get light trailers registered here, especially if you know the right folks. Home built registration usually covers about anything. Most 16' foot flat beds can have farm tags, which only run a little over $5 per year.

Will

10. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    No, I sold my good boat. Kept the motor. Right now I'm fishing out of a little 12' boat with an old Johnson 7.5 I had. I gets me around the river, just not very fast. The 16' boat got to be too big for me trying to launch on a mud ramp in low water.