question for you jug fishermen?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by gbigskin, Mar 23, 2009.

1. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    fished with a friend over the weekend who had 7/0 kale hooks on his noodles. had several fish get off as we would be bringing them up due to the hook not being set.
    my question is this. do you ever attempt to set the hook with a jerk of the line? thanx in advance to all who reply.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Not sure how one could jerk the line when using jugs. To make things simple, I only use 8/0 Gamakatsu Circle hooks. They work perfectly for my jugs and have heard they work great on trot lines also.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I don't jerk on the line. I had a few get off. Thats why I changed to circle hooks. I keep my hooks as sharp as I can get them, I use the noodles so the pressure from it usually sets the hook.

4. sheldonc

sheldonc New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I haven't had this problem at all. I always use a net and if the fish is very large and makes a run I just let the noodle go and chase it down again.
    All of my noodles are the 3 5/8" x14" long with pvc through the middle.
    It seems to set the hook fine. Your friend might check the sharpness of his hooks.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Fish are often very lightly hooked when jugfishing, so jerking on the line is the last thing you want to do. You don't even want to hang onto the jug if the fish makes a sudden run; let the jug go and chase it down again. The best way to keep pull-offs at a minimum is to pretend that you're using 4# test line...try to ease the fish up gently, and when it's at the surface, get it in the net. Yeah, use a net on any fish that you don't plan to throw back.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    This has been asked around me for years. Make sure your hooks are sharp, next time a fish gets off like that. Feel of that point on the hook. It may be dull, a dull hook does not penetrate as easy as one that is sharp.
    Your hooks must be sharp if your going to have a chance to hook a fish on jugs. I used to use 2 litter bottles, we had issues with the hook set. Years ago when we used the Metal oil can's that were soldered together. We did not have that issue.
    Now with the jugs made with our jug kits, The resistance they put on the fish also helps out on the hook set. But you still must have sharp hooks. One other thing a thick shank hook does not stick a fish as easy as s light wire hook.
    Most people go over board on rigging there jugs, I found some 4 years ago here that had hung up and been in the water for a few weeks. These had #36 line along with 20/0 circle hooks.:eek:oooh:
    Pete

7. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have tried circle hooks, kahle hooks, and regular bait hooks but the best I have used have been treble hooks..I can not remember the name of them but each barb is off set to the side and I check them from time to time to make sure they are still sharp..I lost fish with circles, kahles, and every other hook I used..treble hooks work best for me..if I'm fishing with shad I use two barbs on the shad and hot dogs I push the eye of the hook through the skin of the hot dog and it takes a lot to pull it off.

8. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    I agree.
    I also use circle hooks, not quite sold on using the Kahle hooks as my circles work great.
    Using Gama Octopus 8/0 circles..................Niceeeeeeee! ! !

Q

9. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Guys thanks for the info on the hooks to use with jugs ,i going to set me up a few an now i know i have the correct hooks to use :wink: