Question for you guys that shoot 25-06

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by iabowhunter, Dec 19, 2008.

1. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    A buddy of mine loaned me his 25-06 encore barrel to shoot, hunt deer during the Iowa antlerless high power season, and possibly buy.

Can you guys that shoot 25-06 give me some info on what grain of bullet and type of bullet to buy for deer and what brands of factory ammo work well for you?

If I do end up buying this barrel I am going to buy some dies and powder and work up a load for it.

Thanks for any info you can share.

2. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Like any other weapon the best idea is to get as many as you can and shoot them. I would try to keep at or above 110grain for a shorter barrel I would choose 115-120 grain. I shoot a 115 grain Nosler loaded in front of 51.8 grains of IMR 4350 in neck sized brass. This comes out of my Sendero at 3400fps. This is above the factory max load and I worked up to it VERY slowly and my rifle has a very very tight chamber. DO NOT LOAD YOUR AMMO TO THIS LEVEL!!!!! I did it using pressure testing and barrel harmonics testing equipment hooked up to my gun.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Phil
    I have 2-25.06's 1 is a Ruger M77. I shoot Remington 100grn. PSP in it. The other is a Remington Model 700 Classic I shoot Winchester 90grn. Positive Expanding point in it.
    My sons and I have killed deer with both guns and loads. I can't remember ever find a deer more than 40yds. or so from where they were shot.
    Most of the shots have been 100yds.. With the exception of one that was near the 300 yd. range. There was no tracking involved in this shot as it dropped in its tracks.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've always shot 100grn nosler ballistic tips but never had one come out the other side. It is traveling at over 3400fps and they just explode in the deer. I like a little more penetration so switched this year to the 115grain ballistic tip but haven't got to down one with it yet. I did get to take one with my 7mm mag with the 139grn Hornady SST and all I can say is WOW! I've never had a deer planted that hard onto the ground before and still have the bullet come out. I've shot a couple with other 140 grain bullets but they were like the 100 grain bal. tips. They never came out.

I've just picked up a box of Hornady SST bullets for my 25-06. The sst's in the other calibers I've got hold up much better than the ballistic tips. They expand just as rapidly, but they hold together and don't explode and come to pieces.

As far as factory stuff I've found that works good as far as grouping, I've had good luck with the remington 100grn and the winchester 120grn loads.

Good luck.

5. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    try FEDERAL PREMIUM :big_smile::cool2:

6. 70sdiver

70sdiver New Member

State:
    washington
    I own a 25-06 and have to say I think its the perfect deer calibur.I use 100 grain nosler partion bullets.I dropped a 4 point (western count )mule deer in wyoming at 350 yard.Ive shoot several deer and antelope with this calibur and its performed awesome.I did shoot an anelope with a nosler ballistic tip and had to do a follow up shot as the bullet more or less exploded on impact with little penetration.It may have been a bad bullet as i have never experianced that with a bt before or maybe the distance was very close to 400 yard.I also load 85 grain bt for coyote hunting and they are great one small entrance hole ive yet to have an exit wound.I would recommend this calibur as you can use it for varmits to deer.

7. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Thanks for the replys!

Vince...I am a huge fan of Hornady SST bullets. I shoot a 300 grain SST in my muzzleloader. Dang thing hits like a freight train! I have always been impressed with the Hornady family of bullets. Good stuff right there!

The 25-06 cartridge sounds like a pretty good deer round. Can't wait to pick up some shells and print out a group with the encore barrel.

Thanks again!

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I was at a local gun dealer the other day and was looking at an Encore 25.06. That is one sweet little gun . It didn't have a scope or sights on it but it felt good to bring up to the shoulder.

9. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I bought mine with a .50 cal muzzleloader barrel. One of the reasons I like it so much is the fact that it "fits." Bring it up to your shoulder and it's just there and ready to go. The main reason though is because of the barrels that you can get for it.

I've heard nothing but good things about the 25-06. Can't wait to get some shells for it.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I shoot Rem Core-lock 100 gr in my Mark-2 and like them. Mine shoots the 100gr great. Last deer I shot with it. It slammed to the ground. She did not move our of her tracks.
    Pete

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    My youngest son killed his first deer with A 700BDL 25.06 using 90grn.PEP Win. ammo. Dropped it in its tracks. My oldest son has killed deer with it the same way. I hunt a lot with the 25.06 Ruger Model77 with 100grn.PSP core lock ammo and have always dispatched deer quickly as well. I think you will be well pleased with the new barrel.

12. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I like the Rem. Core-loc 100 gr. myself in my Rem.700. I've used many calibers but the 25-06 is my favorite.