Question for you contractors/carpenters

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Scott Daw, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I have a mobile home and my brother put in for me 6 new construction windows. he did all the outside work but the inside of the windows he "didnt figure into the cost" because he thought something was there that wasnt. now in the inside of the window its just studs and the window. I need the inside of the window framed out to hide the factory edge of the windows. I dont need anything fancy. he's saying it needs $700 of master carpentry work. though he's willing to trade for me buying him a tool or two from home depot that he may need for an upcoming job. How full of it is he? I seriously think he's lying. just needs 4 pieces of stained pine in the frame and some trim on the outside.

2. davidstuddard

davidstuddard New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Go to Lowes and get your trim there. You can do it your self. My grandfather and me did some trim work and wall paneling to his mobile home. We went to Lowes and some other places. But it will cost a whole lot less if you did it your self. It sounds like he is trying to stiff ya.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Sounds to me like he is just needing some tools for a job he bid on and doesn't have the money to buy them himself. I don't think I would let him con me into that one for sure. I don't even want to know what he charged you to put them in, sounds to me like he needs to take the beat'n (so to speak) and finish the job he started. That is some mighty expensive trimwork if you ask me.
    You can do it yourself for a WHOLE LOT less. Get yourself a mitre box and buy the trim you want. Then go to town buddy. Even if you make a bunch of mistakes and have to do some of it over, you will still come out ahead and you will be proud of your accomplishments after the fact.
    PS. If you need some guidence, shoot me a PM with your number and I will help you through it over the phone, no problem. I will be more than glad to help!!! I did this for many years before I went to farming, my knees couldn't take it anymore.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    This cat is your brother?

Wow.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    yes he is but he's also a jokester so Im thinking he was exagerating thing alot.

6. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What about some really really big curtains???:smile2:

7. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    You should be able to buy a 1x4x8 ft #2 pine board for somewhere around five bucks apiece. A miter box, hand saw, hammer and a box of hand drive finish nails and even figuring 2 boards a window, yoyr still in the 50 to 75 dollar range buying all the tools brand new. Quite an expensive labor cost dont you think.. If he is a skilled carpenter, even an apprentice this project should have been a walk in the park for him.. Overseeing all the trim is a BIG rookie mistake and if he is any kind of professional he knows the only honest route he has is to eat the cost of material and im sure hes already made enough to cover his labor costs. Shouldnt take him more than a couple hrs if that. Ive built houses for the last 10 years in Wyoming in - 30 below temps and foot upon foot of snow. Thats an easy way to weed out "shadetree" carpenters. The thought of trying to stick it to a family member is apalling. Granted everyone needs to make a living but trying to line ones pockets by decieving your own brother is terrible. Just do it yourself, and the next time he wants to fish out of your boat, tell him you'll trade time on the boat for hard labor raking leaves and dog poo, I think thats more than fair:tounge_out:

Dru

8. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Do it yourself. If all you need is to do a lil trim around th windows, like ole boy said, Lowe's, Home Depot or even Ace Hardware have what you need. $700, I hope you were wearing your knee-high rubber boots, cuz thats how full of it he was.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Buy an extra 2x4 to beat his @ss with.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    You need to shadow box the window and then case it.
    You will need a table saw to rip the 1x down to whatever the width of the shadow box is. Gonna need a miter saw to cut the caseing, theres tricks to both of these, neither one hard if you have the tools. If you want to do it yourself let me know and I will guide you though it all.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    a DIY project just buy a sheet of similar paneling and some outside corner moulding tell brother that he needs to finish the job he took

12. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Scott
    Well: kind of hard to tell what you need without a picture or two. Mobile home walls are not normally the same thickness as conventional home wall framing. If you installed a window that is not flush with the inside finish wall covering, you will have to cut pine fur strips and install on window, or behind edge of window casings which ever needs to flush the two. Hope he didn’t cut opening wider than the window and a space that can be covered by a window casing. Get some carpenter books at the library, get a "cheap miter box and saw" at a home supply $25.00. Go for it. If you bungle it, so what won’t be out much, maybe you will love it and will be the start to many other projects and hours spent during the winter when the fish don’t bite luck

13. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    I am a Finish Carpentry contractor. In new construction I would charge 50. to 75 per window opening to trim out the inside. Its really pretty easy. Your brother should be ashamed of himself. If it were me I would and gave done it for family for beer more beer and a meal. Or just beer works too. Good luck let me know if I can help walk you through this.

14. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i agree that he should be ashamed of himself, unless he's goofin with you.
    i have done work for family and friends at discounted prices and free depending on the circumstances.
    also as stated pictures would be helpful to assist you in best plan of attack.
    i'm no expert but i do this alot ,and ive worked on and owned 2 trailers/mobilehomes and worked on several others .it doesn't sound too hard for you to complete it your self .
    i liked bobpauls advice buy an extra 2x4 LMAO:lol:
    good luck if you get your brother to help have him hold the nails while you hammer:tounge_out:

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    heres some pics for ya. I have no drafts coming in around the windows. I helped with the outside work. so from what Im understanding. I should put some fiberglass insulation in the space between the window and window frame then box out the window & use some trim around the wall to hide the boxing?

Attached Files:

16. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    heres one more photo for you.

Attached Files:

17. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    scott by the looks of your pictures you have a factory lip on those windows that protudes enough to prevent a board from laying flat up against the edge of the vinyal window , so you will need to make a rabbit in the edge of the board to allow it to go over that lip and seal up flat
    against the window. with patience and care you can do this with a circular saw but if you arent really expierianced you need to be very careful.
    the first picture i am posting shows a rabbit in the piece of wood .
    you will need to measure and mark it appropriately on your lumber and set the depth of your saw and cut through one side then the other to get this piece removed. its best to have clamps or someone hold the lumber while you do this. yes a router is what i would use but then your going to start spending more and more money a good circular saw can and does the trick with a little patience and diligance you can do it.

id get a good craftsman or blackndecker and you'll have it for a long time
    get a good carbide tipped blade if not supplied dont use a panel blade its slow and not designed for this type cutting.

measure and make sure the side boards are centered up evenly , it looks like you got a larger gap on the top right side in the picture you posted.
    if so use wood shims to bring the board out evenly on what ever side you need to make the boards plumb and square with the window.

after you cut your rabbits out in your boards where needed
    finish nail them in place after you lay a little caulking around the edges to seal out any potential drafts.

i'm sure i might have missed or overlooked something so read and listen to others ideas and make up your own mind before you start .
    i'd be glad to help you any way i can too.
    i had to do 6 windows in the back addon porch at the house im at right now the same way your looks.

these boards are standard flat cuts nothing fancy except the rabbit
    and it will be hidden.

Attached Files:

18. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    after you have your inside frame boards in place the outside boards can be caseing boards or if you want to just use 1x4 you can i would sand the sharp 90 degree out side angle off a bit though.
    if you have a door in the same room try and get something that matches that and go for it.
    this is where your mitrebox or a few scrap pieces of plywwod or lumber can allow you to make a 45 degree angle saw guide and use your circular saw
    and its a whole lot quicker than a handsaw and mitrebox.
    if you want to see an example of a circular saw guide pm me.
    ive made them for trim boards before i got my compound mitre saw.
    they really come in handy for sideing:big_smile:

p.s. i'd use # 6 or # 8 finish nails a nailset and caulk or wood filler to dab over the holes

Attached Files:

19. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Scott
    Just seen your new posts. Think you can do this your self. Right: fill the openings around the window with fiberglass insulation, leave it loose don’t pack it in tight, will loose insulation value that way. You will need to put finish boards around all four inside edges for appearance sakes. You’ll have to shim the bottom rough sill out with any material to be flush with the face of the paneling. Might be ½ inch boards will work for the finish trim, shim with anything behind them, so they all show the same reveal on the window sides. If you have to raise the bottom piece with a rabbet it can be done with two boards nailed together the top one wider than the bottom. You then simply picture frame the outside of the window with 4 pieces of stock casings mitered in the corners. You will have to have some way to rip to width all of the finish pieces around the four sides of the window at the wall. Best to finish the pieces before they are nailed in place as any stain or paint on the vinyl is sometimes hard to remove. Luck