Question for thought?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rob128146, Jul 3, 2008.

1. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I have noticed over the last 15 yrs something I have brought to others attention and they have agreed for the most part.... Here it goes. I have had a delima I have been pondering for years and it is- Does one rod and reel catch you more fish than your others? I honestly beleive I have a rod and reel that produces more. I have my poles numbered in my head and I have one that catches a whole lot more fish than the other 7?? I have proved this to myself and others I fish with. I have kept a running talley of fish I have caught on all my rods for 5 years now and my #5 pole no mater the bait or conditions is going to run more than the others by a long shot. I know the fish don't know any diffrence but it is true. Does anyone else have this happen also?? I know it sounds crazy but I have proven it.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Maybe for one night or so but that could just be a better angle or it's closer to the bank or what ever. Maybe since you are thinking about this constantly, you just subconsciously pick better spots for that #5 rod? I mean why don't you go fishing next time look at the water where you are going to fish and make sure your #5 rod is in the most unlikely spot. (like at home) :roll_eyes:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <you just subconsciously pick better spots for that #5 rod? I mean why don't you go fishing next time look at the water where you are going to fish and make sure your #5 rod is in the most unlikely spot. (like at home)>

I think that's it. I have certain rods I put in certain areas of the rod holders, and they catch more fish. I have one rod/reel (Abu 5500 with not much line) that I put in the most unlikely place to catch a fish, and I have caught but ONE on it all year.

Bill in SC

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    LOL josh. He can't leave his lucky rod at home!!!! whatcha thinkin????????

I've never narowed it doen to a single pole but some spots i know what side of the boat is gonna get the majority of bites.

I also have fished spots where the very inside or very outside rod is the only one getting bit. The next time i fish the spot i'll try to adjust My boat position to get more baits in the "strike zone"

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'll agree with Brad - depending on where I'm fishing one side of the boat will have a higher percentage of getting hit (the side with the current seam, for example).

Take it one step further, why can you have baits 5' apart across a spot and your partner (or you) catches all the fish on a trip? Same bait, same basic spot, the fish just don't seem to make it to one guy's rigs.:wink:

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Dumb luck???

i dunno I'm happy as long as there are fishing getting put in the boat.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah now that you mention it i do have one rod and reel that always produces more then the other,maybe its the bait i normally only use 2 different kinds of bait on that pole so maybe that has something to do with it,ya think?:confused2:

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont fish for blues, but flatheads..They always seem to hit on the same rod.
    But maybe it is because it's my best rod and I always put it in the best location.

9. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    LUCKY ROD----mere superstition!
    LUCKY SINKER---now that's science!!

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have a lucky pole thats for sure! Problem, it caught so many fish the reel was shot. I replaced it over the winter......................I hope I didn't lose my MOJO, I have not had the opportunity to check it out.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    1 thing is if you tend to put your favorite pole in the more prime spot and you catch a fish the other poles now have older more washed out baits and the 1 you just caught a fish on has fresh bait on it so normally you will catch another on the fresher bait then again you will put another fresh bait on and the other rods still have the same bait on them.

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sounds like ya gotta go out and buy a few more of the exact same rod and reel combos.:wink:

13. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I ve noticed most of my fish fish do come from certain rods.But thats ok as long as one rod gets the fish.:smile2:

14. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I to have a lucky rod. I have an old Fenwick 13' surf rod, I bought and rebuilt, many times over the years, and you could not offer me enought money to sell it.

But truely I dont think it is lucky, I think I am more tuned in on how it acts during a bite, than my other rods. And then when I do set the hook, I know exactly how it is going to do with a fish on. So is it luck? Or just that you are more tuned in on that particular rod? I cant tell you because I carry my lucky rabbits foot key chain with me so that could have something to do with it.

15. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I definitely have a lucky pole. I wouldn't go fishing without it. In fact, the hook came off of my lucky pole when we were leaving the other day and we didn't tie one back on. We were fishing today and threw all the other poles out because we were being lazy. After a while of not getting any bites we put the lucky pole out...sure enough caught a fish. Its probably ridiculous to believe the pole is "lucky" but you won't find me fishing without it.

16. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    guess i'm not the only one who thought that a certain pole caught more fish lol could there really be something to it?? awhile back i broke a pole had to run to get another only thing they had was 20 dollar poles which work i guess but since that day that new pole has produced many more fish than any others i have, rigged up the same same line etc only difference ,the reels,and of course the poles, got to thinking that maybe it had something to do with the sound of the reel when winding the line in?? sounds crazy, could it be sound traveling along the line? sounds insane even to me but hey thats my 2 cents worth

17. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I have personally experienced this however I attributed it to the fact that one is a baitcast deepsea type setup and doesn't cast too well with a small amount of weight and so it always goes close and my other is a large spincast with braided line on it that I usually put farther away. I don't fish from boat so I don't know they both have been hit but the spincast has outdone the baitcast 3-1 easily.

18. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Oh see my avatar... usual situation. Big one on spincast little one on baitcast.

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't know the answer,But I have one rod ,had it for 5 yrs now ,and I have Never got even a bite on it,go figure

Now days it sometimes stays home ,while the others go out to play.