Question for the spincasters

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by graybeard, Mar 19, 2006.

1. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was putting new line on my 888 today, and the line won't fill evenly on the spool. It wants to fill on the front part of spool more than the back. Any suggestions?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Baitcasters don't have that problem, LOL!!! Just Kidding Buddy!!! I am not familiar enough with them to answer this one correctly, Sorry.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The spinnerhead only spins.It does not move in and out.There is no type of level wind on Zebco 888s.I have a 20+year old and a 2005 SW 888.Both have a fixed spool and a rotating only spinnerhead.Hold the reel upright,and unscrew the front cover.All of the works will be sitting in the back cover.Turn the handle slow and easy.You can watch the spinnerhead rotate around the fixed spool.The only time that your spool is level,is new from the factory.My 2005 has not been used and the line is level.The spool is only about 1/2 full so that it will hold all the line when you let it out and reel it back in.By useing a very large spool,the reel will hold all of the line that it is rated for,without needing to have a level wind.If you put too much line on,it will peform poorly.I try to keep mine below 1/4 inch from the edge of the spool.All the rest of my reels I fill within 1/8 inch of the edge.Check it out and you will see what I am talking about.Luck,peewee-williams

4. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I did misslead you a little.I failed to mention that the spinnerhead moves out and the pin(or Pins As my new one has 1 and my old one has 2) recess to release the line to cast.When you start reeling,it returns to position,the pin,or pins protrude and it just rotates.peewee-williams

5. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks, Peewee, it makes sense.

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I found some Daiwa and Zebco spin cast reels,that claim to have level wind with oscillating spools.peewee-williams