Question for the spam bait users

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jerseycat9, Mar 30, 2007.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

Oakwood Georgia
    Does any here actually use spam for bait? And how well does it actually perform against other traditional baits? I know that a world record bluecat was caught on it but I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that one. How does it work for channels and how big can I expect?
  2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

Montgomery, Alabama
    I have heard a few people use spam for bait.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

Glencoe, Arkansas
    My cousin worked on the river boats up and down all the big rivers. When they would tie up for any length of time, the guys would take a can of spam and microwave it for a few minutes to toughen it up, then cut into chunks. Kept the boat supplied with catfish fillets.
  4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

Why would ya want to use spam for bait?? Thats some good eatin right there!!!:tounge_out: Im serious, if i want to run any one out of the house all ive got to do is fry up some spam for a samich. When i cook it my wife makes me open a window, it dont matter that its -2o degrees outside. My sons tell me it smells like dog food, use it for bait??? Naw--id rather eat it!!!!:big_smile:
  5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

Little Rock, AR
    Rather than Spam, I'd rather use bacon, or better yet, salt pork as a backup or easy to get bait. I definitely think that on the Arkansas-Tennessee-lower Mississippi Rivers skipjack & shad will catch the most & biggest catfish. But there are storage and cleanliness problems with it. Unrefrigerated salt pork definitely won't stink up the inside of your vehicle like shad/skipjack will; likewise, if you're able to fish on your lunch break, you've got to be able to work around other people that afternoon. I was fortunate enough to have that problem the summer of 1961 when I was working at an asphalt terminal on the bank of the Tennessee River in N. Chattanooga. I kept a couple or three throwlines off our dock, and used Ivory soap for bait. I caught some fish, but I can't help but wonder how many more I would have caught had I also been using some salt pork.
  6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

I agree with the salt pork. It will get the job done.:lol: