Question for the spam bait users

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jerseycat9, Mar 30, 2007.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Does any here actually use spam for bait? And how well does it actually perform against other traditional baits? I know that a world record bluecat was caught on it but I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that one. How does it work for channels and how big can I expect?

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have heard a few people use spam for bait.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    My cousin worked on the river boats up and down all the big rivers. When they would tie up for any length of time, the guys would take a can of spam and microwave it for a few minutes to toughen it up, then cut into chunks. Kept the boat supplied with catfish fillets.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Why would ya want to use spam for bait?? Thats some good eatin right there!!!:tounge_out: Im serious, if i want to run any one out of the house all ive got to do is fry up some spam for a samich. When i cook it my wife makes me open a window, it dont matter that its -2o degrees outside. My sons tell me it smells like dog food, use it for bait??? Naw--id rather eat it!!!!:big_smile:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Rather than Spam, I'd rather use bacon, or better yet, salt pork as a backup or easy to get bait. I definitely think that on the Arkansas-Tennessee-lower Mississippi Rivers skipjack & shad will catch the most & biggest catfish. But there are storage and cleanliness problems with it. Unrefrigerated salt pork definitely won't stink up the inside of your vehicle like shad/skipjack will; likewise, if you're able to fish on your lunch break, you've got to be able to work around other people that afternoon. I was fortunate enough to have that problem the summer of 1961 when I was working at an asphalt terminal on the bank of the Tennessee River in N. Chattanooga. I kept a couple or three throwlines off our dock, and used Ivory soap for bait. I caught some fish, but I can't help but wonder how many more I would have caught had I also been using some salt pork.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with the salt pork. It will get the job done.:lol: