Question For The Sages:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kat in the hat, Feb 1, 2009.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    OK...I got a question for ya smart people who have been around the block. My boss/meat manager uses a phrase "Two tears in a bucket...(expletive deleted)" Which loosely translates to "stuff happens...get over it." Anyways, since now I'm stuck saying it all the time (LOL), I asked him if he knew the origin of the phrase. He said that back in the 70s, he worked with a guy that always said it, and it just stuck with him, BUT he then heard the phrase mentioned in a movie about 10 years ago...so the phrase must have an origin.

SO...I researched it. The fist known published usage of the phrase was in 1992 by a rap group called A Tribe Called Quest, in their song "Scenario (Remix)". Then it popped up in a 1997 movie called 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' used by a character called Lady Chablis (a transvestite prostitute).

Do any of you use, or have you heard that particular phrase? If so...when did you first hear it used?

Just curious, and there is a reason that I ask. I want to use it as the title to an animated cartoon that I'm working on, and I want to know the origin. Basically, I wanted to make sure it wasn't a patented phrase, or movie song title. Now I just wanna know.

2. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Sorry Matt I never heard that one before, I learned something today!

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Matt, you should be clean and good to go.

I myself have not heard this specifically. Have heard variations of it, usually from the mouths of old codgers when perturbed over something they were working on. Esp. a carpenter I used to work around.

John.

PS that phrase he used would make Ethnic blush and I think Ethnic has heard about everything one could hear.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats a new one on me Matt.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Never heard that myself Matt.....don't proclaim to be a SAGE though, just a cheerleader. :wink:

Some song is runnin' 'round in my mind concerning two tears, but don't think they were in a bucket. Think it's by that same country feller who sings "I'd Bet Better Off in a Pine Box".

So, I'm gonna concentrate on "THREE Coins in a Fountain". :big_smile:

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I don't know how far back but it goes much further back than than the 90's. The guy I worked for in the 70's used to say it. The context was not that stuff happens but that a thing will not make any difference just as two tears in a bucket of water makes no difference.

The phrases in the song "Blue on Black" by Kenny Wayne Shepherd are along the same lines:
    Blue on black
    Tears on a river
    Push on a shove
    It dont mean much
    Joker on jack
    Match on a fire
    Cold on ice
    A dead mans touch
    Whisper on a scream
    Doesnt change a thing
    ...W

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

That's a GREAT song imo W.

[youtubevid]ee735pZ6kxk[/youtubevid]

8. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve New Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Catgirl, is this the song you were thinking of?

[youtubevid]Mss9ikIybrQ[/youtubevid]

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

YES Steve, thank you so much. Isn't that a beautiful song? I had the artist all wrong, it's Steve Wariner.

Sorry to hijack your thread Matt; some of those lyrics might be appropriate though, since you and Sheila are GETTIN' MARRIED!!!! :cool2:

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Matt that saying goes wayyyyyyyyyyyy past the 70's lol But it was not as nice as you posted even with the {.} I do not belive it came from any song more likely some smart A$$ who new what he was talking about :smile2: in other word's go cry to someone else!!!!!!

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Gettin' ready to write a few lyrics about that James. It'll be called "Flathunter's Lament". :wink::smile2:

12. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Let me guess H2O MELLON is the singer lol

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

:smile2: Not sure, haven't discussed it with Bryan yet, we'll see. :wink:

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Exactly what I meant about the context. Metalman is right too, but it's not meant in a sentimental sort of way like Blue on Black. Same thing anyways. That's the nature of my cartoon character...bad things befall him repeatedly, but of his own doing, so he deserves his punishment. If he were to whine to me about his problems, I would tell him 'two tears in a bucket.......' Catchy little phrase, lol. His name rhymes with the deleted part too, so it's a perfect fit.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    KITH I would like to know now you mention this somewhere I think I rember grand pappey sayin something bout tears in a bucket and I wander if it's not of the great depression erra?????:confused2:I dont know:confused2:

16. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Matt,I too have to say sorry,Ive never heard that or any form of that expression.Thanks though,like Cher I learned something new.:smile2:

17. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    matt i have been hearing that expression all of my life.

my first football coach used to tell us that right before we had to do up downs, it allways went something like this...

allright you panty waists! you wanna whine and complain cause its hot? then dont live in alabama! and dont play on my football team! (like we could help the first) 2 tears in a buckett! bleep it! you might as well go drown yourselves in that bucket you bunch a sorry bleeps!"

man i miss football...

18. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Kat, I never heard that one but i like it and I'm sure I can use it now and then.:wink:

Good luck on your cartoon.:cool2: