Question for the pros in North Carolina

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jfwillia1998, May 17, 2006.

1. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Hey everyone,

I've been reading a lot of the posts, and been trying to learn from them, and especially from time on the water. Prior to this year, and meeting CMJ, I have never done any serious catfishing. Just the chicken livers, pond, and beer type of trip.

I was wondering if some of you all that have been at it a while (Tomahawk, Catfishrus, CMJ, and anyone I'm leaving out - no offense to you), and seem to be quite successful would mind throwing out technique differences for blues, flatheads, and channels for us rookies. As well as time of year changes. I certainly am not asking for your "honey holes", but rather general info that would help a new catfisherman when approaching new lakes, species, etc.

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well this time of year you want to be looking at flatheads. There usally make a spawning run up river this time of year. There's alot of fish in a small area. Thier also feeding alot for the spawn. It's a good time of year to catch them. They spawn out in mid-june, after that they head back down river and scatter out. They start gathering again in sept when the shad start gathering in huge masses. The falltime can be pretty good. As for places to look. I look for rock structure, ledges near shallower water, or points. In the falltime I usally stay near the main channel fishing from 25-35'. I usally switch from using bream to live shad or herring in the fall. Thats what thier feeding on that time of year. I'll let someone else fill in about the blues, See-ya.

4. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    im new to this game too sorta, i fish the cape fear in fayetteville and the eel's seem to be the way to for bait from what ive been told along with bream.

5. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Thanks for all the info so far.

John