Question for the pontoon people

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by daniel-delarosa, Oct 8, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I got a pontoon boat last month. Everyone I know says that I shouldn't have got one because the wind will give me a very hard time, especially when trying to load it back on the trailer. I have only had it out twice. I wanted to take it out yesterday, but the little voice in the back of my head was saying "but what about all of this wind?" Most of the people telling me all of these stories dont own a 'toon, or a boat at all and some of them have never even been on a boat,lol. So I figured I'd ask people that know.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    it can get alil rough at times but soon you learn what to and not to do when loading in the wind. what seems to help me the most is not back9ing in the water as far when it is windy.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Quit listening to those people and take that toon out and enjoy it. I was just like you when I got mine and now it doesn't bother me now. I load and unload mine when ever I want to. I decided that after paying money form something I would enjoy because of the room and also I can take all the grandkids and their fam. I just rigged the trailer to the way I wanted and went to the water and learned how to load it and handle it in the wind.

The depth of the trailer has a lot to do with it in different conditions.
    Practice different depths and see which one is easier for you.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bubba is right ....I want a toon....and I envy you get out enjoy,use your head and youl be allright....SAFETY FIRST

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I don't own a pontoon; wish I did, though. I've fished on a number of them, and I'm always amazed, actually, at how smooth and easily they handle for their size. Most folks I know that use them don't have any problem at all loading or unloading by themselves. The wind and current affects smaller boats, too. With a little experience, those conditions can be handled. You'll be happy with the boat, I bet. :big_smile:

6. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Dont Let the wind bother you. It will make it more difficult at first, but you will learn what you need to do to make it work. One thing I do is back the trailer in to get the bunks wet and then , Like others have said, pull the trailer out of the water a little further than normal and power load the boat. Use just a little more speed at first to get it on the trailer. Another option if a dock is available. Have your fishing partners help guide the boat on the trailer while standing on the dock . You will need to park the trailer closer to the dock so they can reach the boat. Also get some guide on post for the back of the trailer. Hope this helps and enjoy your toon. I love mine.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Would a deck boat be better than a toon? I havnt bought one but we will be looking in a year or two

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i usually get close to the dock & havee someone help guide it on if it's windy, if not too windy just powerload it like the others said, they're not that bad & alot of fun!!!

9. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

I didn't like my deck boat. I actually sold it through the classifieds on this site a while back. Mine was so big, heavy and hard as heck to load. It was like trying to maneuver a tugboat around. I like my toon, alot more.

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    One thing I always did in the wind is to pull into the ramp so that the wind would push me up against the dock. Of course, I usually loaded mine by myself. I had a 24 foot soft top and a 28 foot hardtop. The only time I remember having trouble was I miscalculated pulling in my boat to my dock and had to go around again. It was windy enough for whitecaps and I was showing off and came in waaaayy too fast.

Use it and enjoy. Become a real boater instead of a weekend warrior. Remember no wake means smooth water whether anyone is around, or not.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I had a pontoon, and was never able to load it onto the trailer without someone in the water waist deep helping guide it. And I've had lots of experience loading a 20' high-sided V-hull with center console and T-top in the wind, and didn't have to do that. Before you make a choice, I'd recommend going out on a pontoon and other types of boats to decide which suits you the best. More than anything, that's what it comes down to...personal choice.

12. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I have a pontoon. Granted, it's a smaller one, at 20 foot. But I load and unload it all the time by myself. I've been out in some wind too. The trailer (or my trailer anyways) has the two center guide rails. All you have to do is slowly motor towards the trailer and get those guide rails between the toons. Then you just let it settle in on the bunks, Then just throttle it up to the stops. I think it's the easiest boat I've loaded.
    The more you take your boat out, the more confident you'll become. And the more different situtions you'll become accustom to. Get out there and enjoy it!

13. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I finally bought a pontoon boat a few years back and the only regret i have is i wish Id bought it sooner !!! Ive had boats all my life and can tell you it loads as easy as any of my other drive on rigs did. It might not be as fast getting from point A to point B but the older i get the more I realize that Im built for comfort now......not speed !!!!!!!! I like being able to have four people on the boat, grill, fish ten rods and still have room to walk around.

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    that's exactly why i bought one foxhound, went fishing sat night just me & the boy, 8 rods, and cooked some mean pork steaks w/out ne body getting in the way!!!

15. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    We have a 22' Deck boat. To us it gives a better ride and is faster than a toon. Each person will like features of the toon or the Deck. Both are a good choice. On the down side the Deck boats cost more, but on the other hand the Deck Boats are more fuel efficient. IMO.
    Have a Safe day try to stay out of the rain.:wink:
    Walter

16. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    My wife launched and reloaded our pontoon boat as often as I did without hardly any problems.

Sure, it's a little harder to load the boat is a strong side wind, but with a little experance a person can judge the side drift and allow for the drift.

Bill

17. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I recently bought a pontoon and so far I like it a lot. I traded speed for comfort too. Now I can sit on the couch and eat cheetos and watch all my rods. The problem I have with deckboats is the fact that they have a hull. Meaning in rough water or bad rain your still counting on that bilge pump. I like not worrying about taking on water.

18. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Toons are awesome for camping and fishing.

The trouble with loading a toon has more to do with size than with it being a toon. My buddy has a 28 foot toon, it is pretty difficult to load. If you have a 15 - 18 footer, it shouldn't be that difficult.

Practice, practice, practice!