Question for the night fishermen

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Seth, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Do you guys use a lighted setup or bait clickers to know when you get a bite while night fishing?

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Seth... when fishing for cats at night, I have a Abu Garcia...with a line out clicker, and I also use 2" long light sticks as it is easy to see which pole is the one that is making the noise.... much easier to see in the wee hours of the night as ones eyes are failing and I'm about to fall asleep in my boat...

Bayrunner Ray

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Seth, during the summer, 90% of my fishing is at night...I have found that an LED head lamp is the best source of light for my needs. Let's face it, the light is on your head and luminates the area where you are looking, and where are you looking while you fish? At your rod tips! It also comes in handy when you're fighting a fish! Both hands are free and the light is shining where you're looking! Even as a net man!

When you're fishing during a full moon and clear night, usually that is all the light needed! That moon sure does get brite out there on the river. I do have a spotlight on the boat, but usually don't use it much unless the rivers are high and full of debris. Or to luminate the guy holding a phat hawg!!:wink:

I highly recommend a LED head lamp!:wink:

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    when i can't see my rods very well i use a glow stick taped to the end of the rod to light it up but not so much to attract bugs.

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Duh...I should have thought about my LED headlight. The girlfriend bought me a camo hat with a couple of LED lights built in to the bill so that should be perfect. Is there any places that sell those 2" lights in bulk?

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Those LED jobbers that clip to the bill of your hat are nice, I purchased a headlamp I found at Lowe's that pivots up and down and is mounted on an elastic head band. I have used both, and I must admit that the pivoting feature is the way to go! Trust me, I don't make much money so the headlamp I purchased at Lowe's didn't cost much money!:roll_eyes: If I remember correctly it was between 23-28 bucks! Worth every penny!!!

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use a head light for seeing where and what im doing but i use the 8 inch glow sticks i get from wild wolf products here on the boc.i havent ordered any in a while cause i buy them 3 tubes at a time and keep them in the freezer till its there time.cost is bout 10 cents each.

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Seth, I use a third brake light off an old pickup. It lights up the stainless steel eyes on the rods really neat. The look like little neon lights. I also have two lights mounted on the back of my boat for backing down the dark ramps in the dark. Turns out they are really a lot of help when fighting a fish at night.

9. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Alot of good suggestions in here. I use alot of differant methods depending on which pole setup I am using that night (baitcast or open face). For baitcast setup I use the bait alarm on the pole and the line peels out when the fish is on, with a lamp or my hat led flashlight so I can see what I am doing. When I am out on smaller areas (smaller ponds, lakes) I use my open face setup and I use 2"-3" glowsticks (walmart, dollar general, etc has them) and use electrical tape to mount them to the top of the pole area and wait for the tip to start bouncing up and down when I have a fish on. And on nights I start getting sleepy (slow night) I put little bells on the tip of my open face poles to wake me up when something hits. On a side note those led bulbs I like alot more than my little coleman bulb latern because the led bulb has alot brighter light output. And comes in handy tieing on new rig setup and staying away from the latern which is normally swarmming with mayflies and other bugs.

10. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    I use both my clicker and a 3" glow stick on my floats.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I prefer total darkness, yet I use Wild Wolf glow sticks and a swiveling LED head light. I keep the light turned on and pointed toward the heavens till needed and the fish think the glow sticks are just big firefly's! lol
    I would avoid looking around with the light pointing straight out as it can cause shadows and as we all know, shadows mean danger to catfish.:wink:

12. crazycat1

crazycat1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use my led headlight and my baitclicker. If I am fishing slackwater I also use a glowstick on my float. The problem with night fishing is I fall asleep as soon as the fish start biting-or this is how it seems. It is very convient to wake up from time to time and peer out at my glowstick. It is equally convient when I get a bite to just turn on my headlamp-no searching for a flashlight. Hands free is definately the way to go, for it is alot easier to reel in a lunker when you do not have to hold a light. If you do happen to get a big one avoid shining a light directly on the water. I promise you that you will not like the results.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I sometimes set out as many as 6 rods from the bank. All rods are set into a heavy duty bank rod holder. Each rod has a live Bluegill for bait. Some rods have floats and some set out on bottom. The rods are usually spaced out about 20 yards each....so I put an 8" glow stick onto the end of each rod. Some rods can be as far away from me as 100 yards, the glow sticks allow me to see if the rod is getting any action. I also use a headlamp sparingly, just when I need extra light, for re-baiting or re-tying. Also, I put an 8" glow stick into my floats, it is cool to see the float and glow stick to stand up and slowly go under. Fish on....get the net!:smile2:

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I use glow sticks once in a while, but I've found that turning the brightness up on my depthfinder and leaving it on the GPS screen provides enough light to see which rod's getting hit. I mainly use clickers since I sleep a lot. Don't know about you, but unless he's big enough to strip line and wake me up with the clicker and/or rattling the heck out of the rod rack I'd just as soon not be woken up.:wink:

15. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    For the guys that are using the clickers....are you fishing a three way rig with a bank sinker or a slide rig with a no-roll sinker?

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Recently I purchased a custom made rod that has glow in the dark wraps. When using a blacklight head lamp, the rod wraps really glow nicely. The LED head lamp had a black and white light. I purchased it from Catfish Connection. Sometimes I will take a simple flashlight too. Using Solar colored mono, is very beneficial for night fishing. When using a black light, this line will really glow nicely and makes it easier for tying knots and just watching your line!!

17. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Try the Team Catfish Glow wraps on your tips you can cut it and wrap them anyway you want them.

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use them both Seth. Just keep in mind that a clicker is just an alert system. When I am in immediate control of my units I never use it.

19. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    If I fish the river at night, I use my clickers. But when I'm fishing ponds or creeks at night I use lighted bobbers or little clip on rod tip glow sticks.

20. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I wrap highly reflective tape in-between the first 4-5 sets of eyes on the rod blank. You hit them with the beam from your headlamp and them suckers GLOW!

Can probably find such tape in a safety supply catalog. I am using an old roll that was used on the flight deck cranials from way back in my NAVY days.

Am searching for some 12v LED cans of sorts that would be suitable for permanently mounting on the boat, controlled by a switch, aimed at my rods of course.