Question for the electrical Guru

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by tbull, Mar 20, 2009.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I just intalled a new motor on my boat, and with that I took the opportunity to rip out almost every wire on my boat. Got sick of the bird nest, and I know there is an easier and more organized way. My question is this. I am building a switch panel on the dash of the boat. Now for every accessory, there must be a wire coming from it. In other words, the bilge pump, and fill pump, have a brown and black wire. On a 3 prong switch the brown will go on the "acc" prong, and the black to a ground. Correct me if I am wrong, but each acc on the back of boat must have a seperate wire ran to the dash correct? Can you guys give me and idea on how to neatly organize my switches and accessories? What have others done? Basically I will probably have 5 switches. Bilge, Fill, Anchor Light, Nav Light, Black Light. Plus I will be running my graph. Please help guys I am at a stand still here and want to get back on the water more organized than I came off it.:0a35:

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You can have a Positive & Negative "Buss Bar"', in which you will obtain your power & grounds thru.

I prefer to use the circuit breaker panels, rather than the fuse type. It costs more initially but in the long run, you WILL be happier:wink:

3. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    You can operate some things like the nav and anchor lights off the same switch using a three way switch. I made up my new panel to do this with the lights and for what will be my deck lighting. One switch will run the nav lights with the switch putting power to the bow and stern light or only the anchor light and another switch operating both front and rear deck lights. Which one, or both that get power depends on the switch position.
    My thread on page 3 shows the panel I made up with a trolling motor breaker and fuse block. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105716

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    You could save even more wiring by having your anchor light and navigation lights hooked up to the same switch (flip the switch on and all the lights come on). Most people i know that have small boats do it this way.

I know some people dont like this approach, but i feel that the more lights i have on while anchored, the better my chances of being seen.

5. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    this switch pannel is under $30 at Bass Pro shop, it makes neat clean set up, only takes one hot wire going to it

Attached Files:

6. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It's a nightmare! Just let me tell you guys or see the new boat progress pictures in my album on my page to see what I'm referring to. Wiring is just aweful,terrible,frustrating and mind blowing and I'm not talking about the fuse box yet.....you must at all costs,never ever.....try this at home.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I was going to go get that until I read to reviews on the bp site. Everyone hated it big time...lol...Said it quit working after 1 trip...nice