Question for the Auto Mechanics...

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by dinkbuster1, May 17, 2008.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    on my Grandmothers 1994 Olds Achieva (4cyl-front wheel drive) there is a very loud and noticeable "CLUNK", sometimes shaking the whole car, when the car downshifts from 2nd to 1st gear (about 15 mph). it seems to get worse the more the car is driven in Stop-Go-Stop-Go city traffic. also noticed a couple times when it would "Jerk" into gear when leaving a stop light. any suggestions?

2. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    First thing I would check is motor/transmission mounts. when they fail it can cause a clunk/thunk. Easy way to check is to open the hood and watch teh engine while having someone hold the brake while appling power to the engine if the enigne moves more than a few inches a mount is shot. Usually it is the front mount shot, an easy fix.
    Does it seem to be slipping when driven?

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    It is in my experience a trans mount and from the sounds of it probably a motor mount also.Alot of times the initial mount going bad [roduces a noticeable clunk but 2 worn out mounts will act exactly as you describe.

I would check out the trans mount and the front motor mount.

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Mike, as was said, check mounts for sure....also check axles for torn boots and CVjoint failure.......i hope i am wrong, but it sounds like a tranny problem

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks, plan on looking at the mounts tomorrow! yes the motor does move quite a bit when you put it in drive and reverse, i'd say at least 4 inches. no slippage in the tranny at all, and no torn cv boots.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    If it shakes real bad while your driving it's prolly the CV-joint. But I wouldnt say that you would hear a clunk, just bad shaking, sometimes worse when you turn.

If its a mount just put in in gear, hold your foot on the break and slightly give it gas, then let off. You will hear a clunk because of the torque your putting on the motor and drive train mounts.

Its hard to say with out seeing it first hand.

I hope it's something easier...g'luck.

-Jim-

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    no shakes while driving. havent had a chance yet but tomorrow plan on looking up on the web where all the mounts are. had the car in park this afternoon and while rocking the car forward/reverse i could hear one of the mounts "popping", sounds like its near the underside if the motor/tranny on the pass. side.

8. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Sound like a mount problem but if you dont find it there and the transmission is an overdrive one, then check the vaccum hose going to the modulator valve on the front of the trans. Good luck.

9. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    the problem is not in the mounts, that may be adding to it but what you are descibing sounds like the torque convertor clutch is sticking on, does this usually happen after driving a while at speeds above 45 mph ? if so thats prob what it is, if its a 3 speed trans you can unhook the wires on the front side of trans and drive it if it solves it you need to pull the side cover and replace the tcc solonoid, thats a very common problem on those cars

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a silly question. have you checked the fluid level in the tranny? lots of good advice here. I might be able to add a few things though. When your power braking it checking for mounts, do it in reverse and forward. one way it'll hold and the other way will have way too much travel. that'll tell you which mount is bad if any. another thing i read is about the tcc solonoid. it is a very common problem in those cars for sure. before this clunk happens does it seem like your coming to a stop in a standard shift car without pushing in on the clutch? kinda dragging the engine down, then the clunk happens? if so the solonoid is sticking. it's in the side pan of the trans. some models have a mount and a bracket over it making it hard to replace. you have to support the trans loosen the mounts lower the subframe a little to take the bracket off. really a bitch without a lift. you can just unplug it at the pass through, but it'll use a lot more gas. not what you want with todays prices....lol