Question for Ruger Rifle Shooters

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by xringer3, Sep 16, 2008.

1. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd like some input from fellow Ruger rifle owners. I've got two of them now (since winchester quit making my rifle) and love them. On my Winchester and Remington rifles, I've used the leupold quick detatch rings and bases to have two different scopes for one rifle. They would switch out without any loss of zero so I could have one for long open range, and another for woods hunting, or even just two different loads for two different applications, or to have a back up scope in case the other one goes bad in the middle of a hunt.

What I was wanting to know is (if anyone here has tried it), when removing the scope and ring assembly from the ruger rifle, will it return to the same zero when installed, or does it have to be re-sighted in after it's put back on.

If it will return to zero after taking it off, then I can clean out my closet of some I don't use that much and simplify my reloading. AWWW, WHO AM I KIDDING? You can never have too many toys, LOL!

Thanks for any help guys, just an idea I've been kickin around.

2. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Darn, that is a new one for me. Vince, I just don't know. I have always been one that puts one scope on that I like and never change it unless it breaks.
    I have a couple that have been on the same rifle for well over 30 years. I'll be interested in learning more although being an old dog you probably can't teach me any new tricks, at least one that I'll remember. I spend half my time looking for something I just put down 5 minutes ago.

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Vince,
    I dont know cause i have never removed mine, but it should work if the scope is a good one, I think!:eek:oooh:

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks guys. My main reason was to have an extra scope already dialed in that I can keep in my pack. I've had scopes fail on me in the field before, and ones you would never expect to fail either as they were good for years. It would be nice to just pop one off and slip the other one on and keep going. On the ones I had set up like that before were my patrol rifles. One scope for duty use, then a low power one for hunting were the other was too much. I am just hoping the ruger mount system will be as accurate as the leupold, as they seem to be more solid.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Vince,I like the idea,I never thought about it before. I'm like all the rest,Pick a scope and leave it till it needs changed out. I'm interested in this.

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I would not think that the Ruger would hold it's zero after removing and remounting a scope. They are not the same level of precision as the QD mounts. It might not be real bad off but I think it would be off nonetheless.

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Can't help you on this one, my old Ruger 77, 30/06, has the same Burris scope on it that I mounted on it the day I bought it, in 1975.

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have never thought of carrying a spare scope. What I do is carry a spare
    rifle when I go on a hunting trip. I have a model 77 Ruger in 30/06 and a BAR
    in .280. Both rifles are scoped sighted in and ready to go. I will use both rifles
    during the year so they feel natural to me and if something happens to one I
    just go with the other until its fixed. Two years ago my strap came loose on
    my BAR and my scope hit a rock and I had to send it back to leuopold, That
    was the day after Christmas if I had not had my Ruger my season would have been over.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I would think that getting the scope back in the mounts exactly the same way and tightening the screws in exactly the same order would be imposable.I would think that even swapping Ruger mounts with the scope pre-zeroed on the rifle and removed would be imposable AS IS.I never could get them back the same when trying out different scopes.This is why I liked the rifles that came with open sights that could be left on with a scope mounted.

I ordered my Kleinguenther with a set of open sights machined to go back exactly when removed.This way if my 3 x 12 x 56 Swavorski scope went out I would have sighted in open sights.I took them off and on 6 times to try.I could tell no difference in the impact point.They were better than I was.A good machinist should be able to do this with scope mounts IF you do not remove the scope from it's mounts.My scope was very close when remounting,but not near enough for long range work.You could get by under 100 yards with a deer sized target.That gun and setup was expensive.The cost may be prohibitive to machine yours.I saved up for tears to buy such a gun.You also may have to torque your screws in sequence in increasing amounts each time.The mounts that are made to be removed are designed for removing.You may luck up and find a set that works perfectly!

Another thing.Mr Kleinguenther was very experienced with such things.This is why Roy Weatherby brought him into this country to work on his rifle designs.

My rifle was shot and the target with the handled sent to me.The gun was guaranteed for 3 shots in 1/2 inch and 5 shots 5 under 1 inch at 100 yards for 3 years.I could do it occasionally.Some competition shooters did it regularly.This rifle was built from the ground up for this accuracy.This precision machining makes the difference.I miss it!

Please let us know if you get it all to working out OK.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    Several years agao I read an article in the American Rifleman about this very topic. The Author was traveling to Canada on a caribou hunt and was only allowed one rifle. He purchased a spare set of rings and mounted another scope in them to have as a backup. He stated in his article that the shift was manageable if you are able to fire the rifle to achieve a good zero. He said that the zero only moved a couple of inches and after tightening the new rings he set up a rock or board or something and adjusted the scope as needed. In closing, it can be done however it's not designed to be a removeable system. By the way I have several Rugers and I have traveled all over the country with them and have never had a zero shift. I love them!

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've got two Rugers, but the scopes have been on them since I bought them. I use 3X9 scopes since there are no shots longer than 300 yards around here. When I hunt I keep them on 3 power and just turn them up for target practice.