Question For Reloaders About Brass Case Problem

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by tomflatcat, Dec 4, 2008.

1. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I have Bushmaster BA50 .50 caliber rifle. I've fired aboult 50 factory rounds in the last couple trips. Then I just bought some reloaded ammo for it. I fired the first one and it seemed like a much bigger than usual recoil. The case had a 1/4" shiny ring about a 1/4 way up the case. I fired another round and got another big recoil. This time the case had cracked just about all the way around at the same location as the previous round. I didn't use any more of that ammo but I did continue to fire the factory ammo and I had no problems. Another thing is the primers on both the rounds were very flat and expanded like they were sealed to the brass case after firing.

Does this sound like a problem with the gun head spacing or is it the ammo? What's a worse case scenario if brass case cracks like that?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I won't shoot anything but reloads, but only those i reload. I would take them back. Either buy a press and go strickly by the book or stick to production ammunition. You spoke of head space, mic a factory round and mic the length of one of the reloads. They should be close. Split cases and irregular primers sounds like they been over loaded to me. I'm no expert by any means, but never experienced any problems like this either.

3. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Rule number one, NEVER fire anyones reloads that you know nothing about! I am deaf in one ear and lucky to be alive as a result of not following that rule. I thought of my accident as soon as I read your thread. That gun was very close to blowing up. I would have it checked out by a gunsmith before I shoot it again. Good luck, Catfishjon

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Tom, those rounds are showing signs of too much pressure, and even if they don't damage the rifle, or the shooter, the cases can separate and become jammed in the gun. I highly recommend that you not fire any more of those.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Tom,The shiny ring is from high pressure ,and the result od being reloaded too many times,Brass streaches each time it is fired,The weakest point is just above the base where the base and walls join,this gets thinner over time and causes the cases to seperate,or crack. overloading will excellerate this. The flattened primers are positive signs of OVERLY HIGH chamber pressures. I would return them .

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Tom
    These guys are giving you good advise. Take the rest back along with the to spent brass. Explain what is happening when you fired the 2 rounds. Sounds like to much pressure. Very dangerous situation. If you want to shoot reloads in your gun reload your own buy all means. I always Buy the production ammo and save the brass to reload for future use.

7. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Thanks for all the input guys. I would like to stick to factory loads but they are very hard to come by. Almost all of them are sent overseas or made overseas and never make it here. Almost all of what's available are made by a few people loading and reloading and then selling to the public. I am going to send these back. At $5.00 a round, I'd like some decent ammo.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    One thing I always do after I shoot is look at every spent shell casing.
    I fell for the "best in the world" remanufactured ammunition once.
    Out of the first 10 rounds I had cracked shell casings and smutted primers.
    All of them had flattened primers.
    Alot of these centerfire rounds are running chamber pressures upwards of 50,000 PSI. The .308 runs around 60,000 PSI I believe probally because the slower burning powder.

It didn't sink in immediately but after talking to some people and doing some reading I realized how close I came to dying that day. The rest of the box and half I carried back along with the spent shell casings. Laid them on the counter, told him to check his load because he was going to kill somebody, and walked out the door. Bad part about it he was standing in the middle of barrels of ammunition he had "remanufactured".
    Getting my money back wasn't a concern for me. Lesson learned.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm with the others... I've shot my reloads for over 30 years but I'd never shoot one I didn't load.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I fire my Belted Magnum rifle cases 3 times, toss them, recycle, Too iffy to use more than that

Separated cases, besides being dangerous, will never happen when it's convenient,,,,

an old trick I use is to take a small hard wire, bend a 90 degree "hook" on it, and stick it into the case and from the bottom up draw it out,, you'll feel any thinning areas, If you feel those,, throw them away

ammo is cheap compared to your face!!!:wink: