question for ppl who acually use sickle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bigbigjoe76, Feb 20, 2009.

1. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    ok i've been hearing a lot of positive comments on the sickle hooks. i've used other matzuo hooks and love how sharp they are. my question is how to use them. with j hooks i wait for a hard bite and set hard and with circles or khales i just wait for the rod to double over the reel the fish in.

how do these hooks work the best

Joe

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Joe,The only sickle hooks I have used were the small ones,Size 6 and 8. I bought an assortment at wally world to restock my panfish box. They work fantastic on trout and bluegills. I use them the same way I do J hooks,But they are so sharp I think they are self hooking.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Exactly

They are awesome hooks....

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i bought some 7/0 sickle hooks a couple months ago and from what i was told by the seller was they can be fished like circle hooks(self setting) or you can "cross eyes" with them like J hooks

5. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    wish they came in 9/0 or 10/0 as ive always used gamakatsu octopus hooks in 10/0 size the only problem i have with the gamakatsus are they need a little bit more of a barb on them im gonna try the 7/0 and see what happens.

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    all of the above. they work great any way you use them.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent

I also agree! Best hooks I have found in every size, even been pouring up my own jigs and a few spinner baits, they will stick ya quick..... have used the eye crossing method, as well as having fish hook themselves, very good hook imo.....

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I would not post on this one for a few days.:smile2: You can let the fish set the hook its self. Or cross there eyes. Both ways work. Even reel down on one like a circle if that is what your used to.
    The only way they will not catch a fish, Is in the pack.:wink: There a sharp hook that will stick the fish before he knows what is going on. Just like it will you. I was repacking a 1000 sickle 2/0 jig hooks this week. And man they stick in you without you knowing there in there.
    As for bigger sizes. the 7/0 will work great, just hook the bait shallow and let her rock. Shoot a 7/0 hook(Kahle) caught the biggest blue ever on the Ms River. You can always use a Double hook rig. That way your going to get them if they bite.
    I know lots of people love the bigger hooks. But if you hook the bait right with the 7/0's they work. For years we only used 5/0's with big baits, worked better then the heavy hooks. AS it allows the bait to move natural.

Pete

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois

Do you get the corner mouth hook set with this hook like you do with a circle hook. Thanks

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    A lot of the time you do. but I have not had one to stick a fish in the eye yet. That is one good point on the sickle hooks.
    Pete

11. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Used the sickle hooks for the first time on March 7th in the little blue river, Jackson County, Missouri. Used size 1 or 1/0 (can't remember which) (red hook) with a night crawler fished on the bottom, with the rod in a rod holder. Within 5 minutes a small drum (14") hooked it's self and loaded up the rod. 5 minutes later a 22" drum also hooked it's self. In both cases I was busy fiddling with other rods and equipment. The hooks are sharp and while they are not circles, they do hook the fish quite well, even if you are too busy to set the hook yourself. Both fish were hooked in the corner of the mouth. This is hardly enough information to make an imformed decision on, but I will continue to use sickle hooks (as well as others) until I have enough data to make me happy with the hook choices I make. This is certainly a good topic to get us talking.

Ralph
    [​IMG]