Question for power pro users

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by KYTRAPPER, Jun 9, 2006.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Do you guys still like to use a mono leader when useing power pro? Or do you just use it for a leader as well?

2. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I use 40# power pro on my baitcasters and I almost exclusively fish slip-rigs with an 18" leader of 50# mono. The mono-leader, to me, is always a good idea when using a braided line for the abrasion resistance because the leader is what is likely to find something to rub up against. Thats what I've encountered, at least.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I use 80 lb Power Pro. For the leader, I use 50 lb nylon (old style, it's real soft to the touch) and use 20 lb mono for the sinker line. It's a combination I like.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I do exactly the same thing. Works great this way for me.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use 50lb. Power Pro with a mono leader.

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Whatever braid you choose for the main line and definitely a mono leader....

7. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I use 100# and 150# Power Pro. I don't use a leader. One less thing to deal with.

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I use a mono leader when using powerpro, but I have seen many fish (keeper stripers)caught on power pro with out a mono leader, so I know it's not nessasary!

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A leader with my Power Pro depends on what I am doing. For catfishing, I will usually use a leader. I have been trying a couple of different things right now. With three catfish poles out i will have one with a mono leader, one with a coated steel leader, and one with a pre-tied leader 1/0 J-hook (this is on the smallest pole).

If I happen to be lure fishing, I won't be using a leader.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I use 80lb braid and an 80lb braid leader.I have found for catfish a leader for concealment purposes isn't necessary.IF you want to use a braid leader keep in mind braid is much thinner than equiv.mono.So to get the same abraison resistance you MUST go up in lb test.I use 80/80 without any problem.FINS makes a line called Deep Drop that is a very abrasion resistant braided line.:smile2:

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Splain to me why y'all use leaders. I use 100lb power pro (admittedly way too much) with a slip no roll and a split shot. I'd like to see the fish that can break that combo. I have thought about in very heavy cover using a barrel swivel abov the shot with 10-15 lb mono to create a breakaway sinker, but i don't want any more knots than the one tied to the hook. That's all I need is to buy a weak swivel, err on the knot and the once in a lifetime fish becomes a big fish lost story.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Shawn I drift fish a lot with sliding weights so the weight and a bead go above the swivel and the leader and small float go below.I agree the less weak links the better and a split shot is crimping the line no matter how careful you get.For flatlining I use the trolling sinkers with an eye on either end.I tie the line to one eye and the leader to the other.In all honesty I can say with 80lb braid I have never lost a fish due to the knots giving out.Usually the hook pulls out.I use the Uni knot exclusively.:smile2:

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Simple, I use a leader to the hook, for one to have a spot for a swivel and for two the leader is slightly weaker poundage than the main line. This way, if something has to break, it will save several hundreds yard of braid. Basically the same for the sinker drop line, a swivel and a lot less poundage. Most hangups I have found are on the sinker. They're expendable compared to the main line, swivels and hook.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    So, am I correct in assuming you guys are using a 3 way swivel? If so what brand, size, etc....?

15. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    The three way swivel I use is a saltwater type three way it's more of a tee rather that a "Y" It's sold at Bass Pro

The "T" style greatly reduces the tangles.

The reason I use a mono leader is two fold one is the weaker mono will break before the main line the other reason is this past summer I had a big fish break my 50lb. power pro. The line was cut clean right above the hook. The mono seems to be more abrasion resistant.

Experiment: try this take your power pro and pull it tight, real tight..take your knife and touch it, it will break..now try it with your mono, again just touch it it wont break. the experiment was conducted with 50lb. power pro and 50 lb. mono. We used two different spools of power pro as well as two spools of mono for our experiment....

16. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    KYTRAPPER, I have the Power Pro stright through. I have not found a need to use a mono leader. Most of the fishing that I am doing is in waters that have snaggs. I have pulled numerous limbs out my swims with this combination. JMHO!!!!!

HOPPY4

17. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use 65lb PP with a leader to match. I use leaders that are about 14in long and pre rig them with a barrel swivel and a a 8/0 gami circle hook. I wrap them around one of those lindy rig tubes so I have about 8 pre-rigged leaders waiting to be used. Makes rerigging at night alot easier! I also pre-rig all my flat bank sinkers with about 2in of 20lb big game and a #12 snap swivel. Makes changing weights very easy and there is almost no resistance on the line when a fish runs with the bait. If I get snagged up its usually only the weight so if I have to break off something it will only be my weight, I can just clip on a new one and lose no time having my bait back in the water!:cool2:

18. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Not using a leader with superbraid is a giant risk. There seem to be quite a few mis-conceptions about braided line. Braided lines are not as abrasion resistant as many seem to think, especially once the coating wears off. And they are very susceptible to cutting when being put under tension. Plus, almost all superlines will fail well below their poundage rating, in some cases they will fail over 20lbs lighter than they are rated for. I recommend always using the next size heavier than you think you need. I use 80lb. Power Pro on all my musky and catfish rigs and I absolutely love it. It's great for your main line, it's strong, it has no stretch, it's thin diameter. But it's weaknesses really get exposed in that final couple of feet that attach to your hook.

19. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I actually go as far as tying an 8' shock leader to the end of the braid with an Albright knot. Then the weight & swivel, then the hook leader.
    I love the thin diameter (less current drag) and lack of memory (no nasty coils & backlashes) of braid, but down in the snags, you gotta have mono... & change the shock leader frequently, too.

20. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i use just 100 pound power pro and no leader for all my catfishing and have never had a problem doing it