Question for next year's garden

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by boswifedeb, Oct 15, 2009.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Do y'all ever run your bean vines on the corn stalks? Bo says his dad used to do it that way. This year we had a little stretch of fence that we ran them on. Just wondering if y'all had ever done that. I know several of you talked about running them on bent gate panels that you turned into arbors.

We've been talking about what we want to plant next year. Tomatoes, peppers, squash, okra, beans, and corn for sure. I want to plant cukes again (I got a few pints of pickles made this year - first time!!:big_smile:) and I would like to try my hand at some pumpkins. I understand they (like cukes) like to take up a good bit of space. Anybody else grow them?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    In limited space a cattle panel bent over like an archway is good to grow climbing plants on. Makes a neat entryway into your garden too.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dep,I planted my last pole beans this year,I'll be going back to bush type ,I just haven't had good luck with them. I did however have great luck training my cucumber vines to climb the fence. It made picking them easier for the most part. I think next year I may try gently pruning a few vines I dont want to keep it easier to manage them. I wont change much from my garden mostly same stuff,I might make a raised bed and try my hand at potato's tho.

4. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Debbie; John is right, I use a section of cattle panel between my cucumber rows to have them climb on. One section about 20$, two 6 ft steel fence posts 6$ and not bending over so much picking them - priceless. When I was a teen my dad and a neighbor, Albert Jackman had a garden together and they came up with the bright idea of planting sweet corn between the 'taters after they bloomed. Well guess who had to dig 'taters from between standing corn. I heard my dad tell a friend of his one time that Albert, told him that he had never heard a young man cuss so much as I did while I was digging 'taters. I didn't even know Albert had heard me. Luckily, I never had to dig between rows of corn again.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Deb,, years ago,, sweet corn and field corn was planted in hills,,my dad used to plant corn that way too....he had a wooded row marker he used to pull both ways so he had a checker board type deal,,,,,he would rototill both ways to save hoeing.

Now that is how pole beans will do best on corn,,, when the corn is planted in hills.

I planted both bush and pole beans this year,,because the bush take 45 days and the pole are about 75 days,, I just wanted beans earlier this year,,,,

I have already started planning next years garden too. I want to expand my early garden,,, it is higher than the field and drys out quicker in the spring for planting.

6. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I couldn't tell you about climbing, but you have a good idea on crop rotation. Corn and beans compliment each other on the nutrients that they add, use, and take from the soil.

7. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    My grandfather used to cut sticks from trees and they'd make tepees out of them with 6 sticks to a bundle for the beans to grow on. After he passed away, we started using fence. That was hard work putting pipe in the ground to hold the fence up on our long rows. We thought about making some panels that would stand up by themselves, but never did. This year my parents started using PVC pipe like the sticks. They both say that's the best thing they've found so far for the beans to grow on. I like it too since I way always the one that had to drive the pipe in the ground, and they can put these up when I'm at work.

As far as pumpkins, I don't have much experience with them, but I'm pretty sure you'll need far more room for them than cucumbers.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

pumpkins and squash of any kind tend to take a ton of room to grow properly

9. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Y'all have given me some things to think about (and make Bo worry about!).:wink: If I plant any pumpkins, it will probably be only a couple. We've got a lot of room for them to run. The garden is on my sister's property right between a barn and an open field. So there's lots of room to expand.

Hope y'all have great gardens next year.

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sorry it took so long, I just found this thread.

While bush beans do make up the bulk of my beans (freeze up about 150 quarts), I do plant pole beans in with the corn. If we are in the mood, we'll pick them, if not we don't. Mostly, I plant them together to help the corn. The beans put tons of nitrogen into the soil at exactly the time when the corn needs it the most. I plant them at the same time, which turns out about right for the beans to climb as the corn grows. The main reason we don't pick the beans as much as we should is because the corn leaves bug me to death scratching my arms & neck up. That and my wife is convinced that pole beans have more strings than bush type. She does most of the picking and as long as her back holds up, we'll keep that as our main base.:wink:

11. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I don't use my garden space for pumpkins any longer. I have had hit and miss luck with them anyway and I get more good from the space planting extra beans etc.

For beans, I plant half runners. Mountain, state or white either one and I plant 2 rows about 1 foot apart and they twine together and stand up somewhat. Still have to bend to pick them but they are so good !

I have a bean trellis for runner beans that is 6 feet tall and 100 feet long. I plant McCaslin beans. THe taste is wonderful though maybe not quite what the half runners are. But the lower amount of strings makes up the difference for me.

I have learned something about Cukes that I thought was pretty neat. Last season was a strange one where we had a very wet spring followed by a drought for about 6 weeks and then the rain returned. The dry spell pretty much did a number on my cukes and I had plenty of seed left so I put them in the planter and put out 2 rows.

They came up thick and I never thinned a bit, Just let them do what they would. Turned out that they put down enough cover to really keep the weeds down and produced plenty of cukes to boot. I will do the same this year.

12. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Marty, cukes are some amazing plants. My daughter and I made pickles for the first time last summer and had a blast. They are really good. We're planning on doing both bread-n-butters and dills this year.

13. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i have let my pole beans climb corn in the past,but i don't grow corn any more.last year i bought some trellis made out of string from home depot(cheap to)and used it.i also experimented letting it climb my okra,it worked great.it did'nt work for my neighbor because his okra did'nt get but 3 ft. tall.mine was like 9 ft. tall.
    good luck with your garden.

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    9 ft Okra? Wow, you got the touch, bro.

15. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Our okra only got to about 6 1/2 to 7 feet. But since I'm about 5'6", it got real interesting at picking time! LOL! Had to bend it over till I could reach it.