Question for my fellow bank fishermen

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by creepie-jackalope, Dec 17, 2009.

1. creepie-jackalope

creepie-jackalope New Member

State:
    Great state of Texas!
    I know this question as been asked a million times, but I want to here from the guys who bankfish. And this for either rivers or lakes. Do the catfish move deeper in the winter or do they stay more shallow? And what kind of area do you look for when looking at a topo map, sharp drop off's or maybe long shallow flats? Just curious of what you guys look for in a winter fishing spot.

Thanks Ryan

2. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    They tend to find a deep winter whole, with good oxygen. Welcome to the BOC.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I stay shallow and do really good. Most like to go deep, but I say never over look shallows.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Probably an answer for a guy from your state , around my area the go deep .

5. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I try to find a place where the current is being restricted. Log jams, deep holes, behind large boulders. Catfish try to find a spot where the current is slower so they don't have to exert more energy. If you find the fish you can catch some big ones. I don't know about winter fishing in lakes. The one lake I fish is iced over during the winter.

6. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    All these replys are good and true,but I can tell you here in SC when it does begin to get cold the fish in the rivers move to deeper holes.
    The hole I fish all spring and summer and caught numerous nice cats in is empty now and has been for a month.If I had a boat and went down to the river where there are deeper holes I guarantee they are stacked up there.Thats here though,I dont know about where you live-and I believe lakes are different-alot of variables.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Hard tellin, my brother-in-law fishes the lake I fished, he fishes for walleye in the fall and catches a cat sometimes. The lake is mostly shallow and shaped like a plate or soup bowl, its only 6-7 ft 80 yds out. There are some deep spots, but far away.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

The flats go to the deepest holes in the river up here,but it might be a whole different ballgame down where you,re at.I,d try and get the local advice.