Question for Lake Norman Guys

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mhedrick, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    I work over in Mooresville, but I've fished cats on Norman a total of one time. I'm thinking about going one day before work and was wondering where might be a good place to start looking. I'm not asking for your secret spots, just general areas. 150 would be the closest to me, but I also can get to the Buffalo Shoals area. If you are willing to share the secret spots, just PM me.

Thanks.

2. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    I guess nobody can even share some general areas??

3. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I have had good luck in coves this time of year. Especially on sunny days.

4. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Lake Norman this time of year is kinda hit or miss. The best advice I can give you is to ride around and find some bait fish then fish a deep hole near the bait. When you find bait nine times out of ten you'll find fish.

5. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I always have my best luck with bait and blues behind Stumpy island on the stumpy creek side and up the river toward the Islands fishing the ledges as they drop off out of the coves into the main channel but that last Nccats tourny humbled me I dont know if I should give any advise on lake Norman. If it gets real real cold for about a week fish out from the Hot Hole. Best advise I can give is to use all differant types of cut bait like catfish ,striper ,perch ,bluegill .LakeNorman catfish dont' like fresh shad and bluebacks (OMO):smile2:

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Winter time baits can be gizzard shad, striper, bass, white perch, crappie and trout (gold and rainbow). Offer them small pieces of bait if using cut bait and small hooks.

Summer time baits can be almost anything you can catch or buy. Live or cut bait.

Winter time locations could be drop offs, deep points, crappie brush or in the back of coves or creeks.

Summer time locations could be anywhere on the lake. I do best South of the River Bridge (Hwy. 150).

An exact location would do you no good, because the blues and flatheads move with the bait. Follow the stripers and you will find the cats.

Best time to catch a trophy cat is in the Spring time.

7. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the information.

If I can return the favor let me know,

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    When all else fails wait at the shoal at the mouth of Little Creek and follow LakeNormanBlues.... :smile2:

9. catfishphil

catfishphil New Member

State:
    nc
    If you don't have much time fish good point's main lake 40' plus some time's as soon as you hit the bottom you get a hit if not wait at least 30min plus it's how fast you want to fish" good luck "

10. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    anyone got bait and location suggestions for tomorrow? I've gone with my father in law before and caught on jugs with chicken breast as bait...

I have some beef heart to try...any other suggestions?
    My dad and I will be launching from the Long Island access area tomorrow. Look for a 91 blue F150 with a crumpled driver door...that will be us...say hi...

11. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What kind of rod holders do you have on the f-150 and does it float pretty good? Just kiddin...It might be easier to say hi if we know what kind of boat your in. :smile2:

12. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    HA HA

1977 Renken I/O with a 120 Mercruiser...kinda beige color...

13. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I hope you do good on your trip to the James River.. That tidal river is something else...