Question for Elk hunters

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Cathooker, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I am planning on an elk hunt to Colorado this fall. This is my first time to go. I am excited. My question is this. I have a Remington model 700 300 win mag that I plan to use and I am curious as to what bullet weight and style do you feel is best? I am thinking 180 grain nosler partition...what do you think.
    Thanks in advance.
    Alan

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    The 180gr Nosler partition is a good bullet for Elk in your 300 mag. I used 140 gr nosler partition in my 264 win mag for both Deer and Elk in colorado while I lived there. Dale

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The partition is good but I would load the 180 Scirroco.Actually I used a 300 Weatherby for years in Colo and never needed anything more than a good 150gr.I have switched to the 7mm Ultramag and only use 160gr.Any good bullet will work as long as the shot placement is good.Take my advice get in shape.Most of your hunting is going to be above 7000ft and that is hard on you.I would spend a day or two at that altitude not doing much but getting aclimated.Drink plenty of water.Elk will disappear into the dark timber as soon as the seasons open so be prepared to go in after them.Those "Ideal"shots of big bulls grazing in open meadows are not reality.Elk will spook and not stop running for two counties unlike deer.Colo Wildlife officials figured out years ago that elk hunters kill an elk about once every 7-8 years and that includes cows etc.Success ratio is about 20% in a good year.The offset is you will be in gorgeous country,hunting a magnificent animal.WHere are you going in Colo?

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    has downed many Elk in the past both on guided hunts and when he went with our friends who reside in Colorado.He says for me to tell you that you have made an excellent choice.Elk hunting is alot of fun,and I seriously mean fun!! When we went well it was just so grand to see the majestic mountains breath the mountain air.Don't get me started I will get homesick and I'm not even from there.Suffice it to say,I had never seen such BRILLIANT fall colors in my life as I seen in the High Country of Colorado! Go have fun,take lots of pictures and make yourself some wonderful memories.---------Sister Pat:big_smile::big_smile:

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Looking pretty spiffy there sis ,is that a new hairdo?See men do notice.:big_smile::lol::smile2:

6. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Thanks folks for the advice.
    I live in the mountains of NW Ga and am hiking every day up these hills trying to make sure I am in shape. We'll be goin out four days before the actual hunt to do a little scouting and get acclimated. I have two good friends that have been goin out there every year for 20 years. They bought some land that joins the Rio Grande national forest and have built a nice lil hunting cabin there. They have killed some really nice elk over the years. I think the area that we will be hunting is in the South Central part of Colorado. ??/ Not really sure. To us it is not about the kill but the hunt itself...everyone I talk to tells me that the beauty of the place is worht the trip even if we never get a Bull.
    ANother friend that is goin has gone three times and has tagged a bull all three times...he is one lucky guy. Dave and Mark average one each about every five years....I am excited about just getting to go. I have wanted to go for years but job and family kept me from it...now I have the kids all grown and I have my business set up so my son can run it while I am gone soooo I am gonna take the opportunity and go.
    Again thanks for sharing with me.
    Alan

7. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    The 180 gr. partition would be an excellent choice.

8. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    The 180 gr. is a great all around bullet in the .300. It will handle elk just fine... Good luck.