Question for eastern TN folks

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Jbuck, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    My wife and I are looking really hard at a Watts Bar trip, It appears Kingston will require the least highway miles so I would like to know:
    Is there a decent affordable $100.00 +/- per night place to stay with parking for my truck and boat?
    Is there a boat ramp close with parking that is somewhat safe?
    Is there a place to buy over the counter fishing licenses?
    Is there a part of town that one shouldn't venture?
    I have searched the Net and found some information but it is coming from the city or merchants and inn keepers who are looking at the revenue as I am sure they have to.
    I guess I just want to know if Kingston is a safe place for us and our possessions with everything we will need to spend 3 days and 2 nights fishing.

metalman, eastforker and zachM54 like this.
  2. Thunder head

Thunder head Well-Known Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Steven
    We stayed at the super 8 before Christmas. Its clean. Rooms are slightly dated. Id stay there again.

Theres several ramps from 5 - 15 minutes away. Some are better than others.

Youll need to stop at a Walmart before you get there to buy your license. Or buy them on the net before you leave.

The motel owner described Kingston as a retirement community. Said he had never had any problems with theft in the parking lot.

metalman, eastforker and zachM54 like this.

3. zachM54

zachM54 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Zach
    Not sure about motel prices, but it's my guess you'll be able to find something under $100 per night either in Harriman or Kingston. There are several boat ramps that are safe, Ladd Landing, Kingston City Park, and Kingston Steam Plant. Ladd Landing and Kingston City Park are patrolled by the Roane County Sheriff Dept. and the Kingston City Police. The landing at Kingston Steam Plant is patrolled by the TVA Police. As far as buying your license, I'm not positive of anywhere in the Kingston city limits you can find them. If you travel down Hwy 70 southeast of Kingston there are a 2-3 bait shops within a 4-5 mile drive you might buy your license. If not, Walmart in Rockwood which is about 10 miles away does sell them in the sporting goods section. Kingston is a nice, non-industrialized town and it's safe.

metalman and eastforker like this.
  4. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Thanks guys, we are shooting for mid to late March.

5. zachM54

zachM54 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Zach
    Good luck. Ladd Landing would be the ideal ramp, only about a mile from the Super 8 and it also has a dock. Once you're launched, you're at the confluence of the Clinch and Emory Rivers, dandy spot for catfishing and I've loaded up on skipjack there in the past during early spring. Go downstream about 2 miles and you're at the Kingston Steam Plant discharge. You won't have to travel far for some prime catfishing.

metalman likes this.
  6. mooseman75

mooseman75 Well-Known Member

State:
    Utah
    Name:
    Justin
    Jay I'm not coming in to help because I can't I'm just wishing you a safe and fun trip. I hope it turns out being what you expect if not more. Good luck and catch a big one!!!

metalman likes this.
  7. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Jay I have used the Ramp in Kingston a couple of times. Plenty of parking and the lot is lit up nicely at night. There is a second ramp right in town at the community center that looks good with good parking but I have not used it.

Kingston appears to be a nice sleepy little town and if I move down that way that is the place I am looking at.

Tennessee make it very easy to purchase your licenses on line for the exact days you want or the entire year. Then you just print it out and have your drivers license with you and you are good to go.

When you get closer to going I will send you some PM info on some spots to check out. I can pinpoint two or three spots for you but Henry might bean you in the forehead with a sinker. lol

Tom

metalman likes this.
  8. Jesus Saves

Jesus Saves Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    Jay,
    We have been looking at doing the same thing. I found a couple air bnb rentals on the lake for just over the $100 per night that had their own private dock. You might take a look at them...

9. Ed Dutton

Ed Dutton Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Edward Dutton
    Looked on Google for you . Looks like a nice place . Good luck and have fun . Screenshot_20200225-190906_Maps.jpg Screenshot_20200225-190817_Maps.jpg Screenshot_20200225-190739_Maps.jpg Screenshot_20200225-190650_Maps.jpg Screenshot_20200225-190629_Maps.jpg

metalman likes this.
  10. Thunder head

Thunder head Well-Known Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Steven
    Jay,
    The Kingston city ramp is very shallow. And if the water is down there is no way to get off the boat without getting your feet wet or walking along way. Unless you have a flat bottom.

The ramp on the other side were the Emory and Clinch meet is very nice.

If you plan to fish down river. There is a very nice ramp at Caney creek. Just 10 - 15 minutes away.

zachM54 likes this.
  11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    got my PB Bluecat from Watts Bar

Attached Files:

zachM54 likes this.