Question for DTRO?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MINNESOTA TALK' started by VanKley, Feb 26, 2013.

1. VanKley

VanKley Well-Known Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    Hey DTRO,

Just curious when you start going after flattys up in Minnesota, I plan on spending some time in the land of 10000 lakes this year and just curious when any kind of bite starts?

P.S. Im a fan of your youtube videos, and thanks for the rattle bobber tutorial, I now have about 35 bobbers @ about .40 a pop! 2nd question. The rattle bobber would work for channels as well, correct?

2. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Name:
    Darren
    Hey VanKley,

Sorry I don’t check this sub forum often, but someone was kind enough to give me a heads up.

Each year it’s a little different, last year we were already catching Flattys and this year we can’t even get on the river yet.   As soon as there is open water though we are usually out there, but don’t have any real success until the water temp hits 60.  I suspect the first cat bait will hit the water in about 3 weeks.   Its very easy to get discouraged if you go gangbusters too soon so  I always recommend waiting until  Memorial weekend before hitting it hard, to give yourself a fighting chance.   We catch a few before then, but mostly its just time on the water shaking off the cob webs, catching rough fish, and having fun with Channel cats until then.  Last year was an anomaly and we don’t see that very often.

Good luck to you and yes most certainly those bobbers will work for channel cats, especially if you want to keep a piece of cut bait off the bottom a bit.  Let me know how they work. I’ve had some good success with them.

Also check out the King of the Cats Contest I’m running (google it), it’s a good time and I have some very nice prizes to give away

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Administrator

State:
    Georgia
    Where you been hiding dog..

About time you started coming back around, good to see you!

4. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Name:
    Darren
    Its MN Bro, I've Been Hibernating :)