Question for drifters...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mandingo, Jul 12, 2006.

1. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    I like to spend most of my time on the water drifting for cats, but whenever the wind stops completely,i get confused on what and where to fish,espescially during tournaments when time is crucial.I am looking for a plan B for whenever plan A fails.what do some of you drifters do in times like these?

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Turn on the trolling motor.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Trolling motor is probably one of the most important fishing tools on a boat. When drifting in current I use the trolling motor to slow my drift down and control the boat, ( learned from shiloh red ), in still water ( lake ) I use the trolling motor with drift socks to control the drift and boat.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yep trolling moter, if you dont have one find good lookin spots anchor down and give em 20 minutes if nothin move.

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thats it I turn it on and off, just enough to keep the boat moving.

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I don't have a trolling motor yet and always resort to fishing under slip bobbers. I set my baits at 5' ft increments and convert all rods after I locate the fish holding depth. Sometimes I do this even when there is still current because the cats in my waters don't always hold to the bottom and aren't always aggressive enough to hit the moving baits. I love the drifting, but it is only one of my many plans of attack.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

trolling motor. this is also a time to try out those spots we all see while drifting that we think might hold fish but have never tried.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Sometimes I use a trolling motor when the winds dies, others I will anchor and fish structure, such a humps in the lake, or drops near a long underwater point.

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I clamp the trolling motor on the side of my Jon boat and keep going or find some ledges with structure or edges of deep holes.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Glad I could teach you something..
    PEte