Question for Circle hook gurus

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bj78, Feb 27, 2006.

1. bj78

bj78 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use j hooks when rod fishing for flatheads. I use circle hooks for trotlines, jugs, etc. I have read so many good things about circles that I am considering switching to them this season. My questions are 1)If you are rod fishing near heavy cover doesn't allowing the fish to swim off and hook itself allow the fish a better oppurtunity to get hung up in a snag? 2) What happens when the fish picks up the bait and swins toward you? 3) How do you develop the patience to not pick up the rod and set the hook?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is why I switched to kahles last year.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

What you ask is one of the hardest things to "unlearn" about fishing, the hookset, or in this case the lack thereof. In actuality it is easiest around heavy cover. Lock it down and let them bend the rod. Takes all of 1 foot to nail em' When it swims toward you, reel it in til you feel the fish then stomp your foot, the noise will turn the fish. (That last sentence was a joke) Reel in till you feel pressure then slide your rod sideways parallel to the water. Not hard like a hook set, you are just "helping" slide that hook to the sweet spot in the corner of his mouth. A lot of times when they are coming to you the sinker and the drag of the line in the water will already have the fish hooked for you due to the very nature of the circle hook.

Hope this helps,

Shawn (OH)

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Personally, I had a very difficult time in breaking the hooksetting habit.
    I missed so many fish that out of frustration I finally force myself to wait, and it paid off.
    I like watching a cat hit the bait and load the rod.
    Once you switch the mindset the anticipation makes it very rewarding.
    Now.... It will be interesting when I fish for some other species, when I'm not using circle hooks.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I'm with Shawn on this. It's hard to not set the hook, but if you can wait it will pay off.

6. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i bank fish i let um run on the bait clicker then pick up the rod and reel as fast as i can while using a slow sideward motion. works everytime

7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Thats why I gave up on Circles..I am to old to change my ways I guess. But I may add duct tape to my tackle bag and try them again this year with all that I have read. I figger if I tape my arms to the chair, by the time I get myself loose it should work out just about right..LOL:eek:

8. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will try them again this year, last year I tried them but I went back to Kahles.Not setting the hook is a hard habit to break.

9. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I`ve been back and forth from circles to baithooks several times. I really do miss settin the hook when using circles, but I have to admit, the circles take the guesswork out of when to set the hook and if the fish is on yet and if you might have dosed off in the middle of the night. The most important thing to me though is that they work so much better while drift fishing, which is what we do the most. While drift fishing there is no "setting the hook". The fish takes the bait as you drift past him. He is either on there or not and the circle seems to hook em most every time.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you have your reel engaged the fish will only swim a couple feet before hooked, much less than fishing free spool and a clicker.