Question for Bubba, 73 Merc 50 HP

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by flatheadsalyer1, Mar 26, 2009.

1. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I changed the water pump in this thing today. I made sure the shift linkage was in the same place as when I took the foot off, but when I put it back together it stays in forward. The shift lever moves like it always has, but it wont go into neutral or reverse. Any ideas on what could have caused this? Thanks in advance!

Steve

2. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I'll step in here, don't fret a bunch, I did the same thing on a 115, could not get it to shift right. Thought I had really messed something up. It turned out to be that the pin had slipped just a little. Bubba can probably explain better how to get it right.

3. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I am gonna try again today to see if I can get this thing to shift right. If I cant I guess I am gonna take to the local repair shop and see if I can get it fixed there. I dont understand whats going on with it. Thanks for the help.

Steve

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it is in forward then lower the unit again and shift the shifter in forward and reinstall watching the little shaft that goes down into the lower unit shift head to make sure it lines up.