Question for boaters

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by dharlow, Jun 8, 2007.

1. dharlow

dharlow New Member

State:
    al
    When searching for new spots or for just cruising looking for channel cats, how do you utilize your fishfinder? Do you look for structure on the bottom? Do you look for deep holes and try there? Just what kind of info are you looking for on the screen?
    Also, what kind of bank structure are you looking for? Are there particular things that perk your attention to a location?

2. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I always look for deep drops off of a flat, or a couple of channels running together. Usually a good flat with deep water close is the best for me. Or if in river look for a nice hole with a flat or bar close.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    An inside bend in the river or creek for bank features. I also concentrate on structure comein out into the water. Piers,wing dams,jetties. Things of that nature. Matt also hit the nail on the head with the dropoffs and channels. The tide also plays a big part in my river as to where I'm goin.

4. dharlow

dharlow New Member

State:
    al
    do catfish gather at the mouth of a tributary on an outgoing tide?

5. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kat50: Man i did not need to see that.lol. I feel like i am in a sitcom sometimes.

6. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    katfshn50 its to . its WHAT ooooohhhhhhh

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    They sure do. Just waitin for any goodies to come thier way.

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    around here, i like to find good clay banks further up the rivers they usually have a lot of mussels and bait fish livin around them. i also look for flats that drop into deep holes, (sand bars at night). occasionaly, i like to fish really gritty tough lookin snag and snake infested water back in the sloughs and bayou's, but that can be more trouble than it is worth. most of the feeders that poor into the delta around here have either a bar (flat) or a hole on the river side where they enter biger water. they are pretty good spots. ive also noticed that the inside bends of the rivers around here have deeper water. up around the middle delta, sometimes you can find under water "humps" and "stuff". they work too.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    on the screen, i look for drop offs-holes-hard bottom with big rocks-underwater jambs-old dams-channel in relation to shore-fish+bait(der)-rolling up and down like hills. above water i look for-steep high banks-old dam remains-creeks-culvert pipes- islands-bridge pillons-eddies-current seams-log jambs-sharp bends- riffles-worn out bank fishing spots. fish up and in these structures and youll find fish.

good luck!

10. hossdaniels

hossdaniels New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Excellent question. I just ordered my first fishfinder and have been looking for tips for using it. great responses so far.

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Just read your manual, then read it two more times lol. So you get familiar with its features. Heck take it with you the first few times and try different set ups. Once on the water start in the shallows over rocks, and mud , timber, and sand. You want to do this so you know what it looks like on your screen so when you see it over deep water you already know what type of bottom you have. You can use an oar or a sinker on a line also to test the bottom. Then you can go looking for the holes and drops and flats with confidence in your sonar. Another thing while looking for structure and bottom composition is just to look at the bank. What you see above the waterline is what will be under the water also.

12. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    look for log jams and trees in the river and holes thats my luck

13. darinspawn

darinspawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I like to find the down stream sides of hills or drop offs. fish the inside bends where logs get stuck.

14. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I look for deeper holes in middle of river on down stream side.

inner bends where deeper holes could be

outer sides that have deeper hole by log jams.