Question for Big Game/Big Cat line users

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by SubnetZero, Aug 23, 2006.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    After reading all the rave reviews on here I switched to the Solar Green Big Game line this year.. Twice now I've had it break off on me setting the hook.. I didnt even get that much power on the line before it broke. I've also been snagged and it broke off with little pressure..
    When I first spooled, the stuff was as strong as wire. First snag taught me not to use my hands to try and break it free (ouch!):confused2:

Both times it broke off on the hookset, I had checked my line for nicks, etc and pulled a few feet off before rigging up ... Looking at the line, I noticed the color had changed to a lighter green color, like its faded, on the stuff I cut off..

I'm wondering if sun/UV rays are causing the line to weaken... Has anyone else noticed this? I have 20lb on my reels right now, but have a new spool of 30.. Think I'll respool with it and see what happens, but would be real interested in what you guys that have been using it for a long time have to say or noticed about it....

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    You might have gotten an old spool. I have never had this problem, and I have used 20,25,30,40 and 50lb test.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you snag a mono line then have to stretch it to it's breaking point to get it lose you have made the line weak, because it has been overly stretched.

4. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I have used it for years. The only time I had trouble was when I did get a old spool. I also use 20# test, and normaly if I hook the world I have a tough time breaking it.

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I was having the same problem with line braking at the hook I found it was me not getting the knot tight. I take more care and wet the knot before pulling it tight. that has helped I seldom brake off now

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use 30,40lb clear big game and haven't had too many problems at all. When you get a snag and have to break it the line will stretch some, this is why after a snag I take about 10-15ft of line further up from where it broke. The only other thing I noticed, I left my rods in an enclosed compartment in my boat for a couple months and noticed that it was aging it faster from excessive heat, and making it more brittle than if I left them inside the house. I therefore change my line about every 3-4 months. I love this line though, IMHO one of the best for the money.

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Both times it broke at the swivel or above, when I reeled it in it was just line.
    I use a standard carolina rig, hook snelled, polymer knots on both sides of the swivel....

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My elderly in-laws who use to fish all the time have always told me to keep my reels well taken care of and to never store any line where it is exposed to sunlight.It was and is their opinion that direct sunlight weakens the line.So I have always kept them in storage when not in use. Hope this might help you a little bit!----------pk powell:smile2:

9. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    I use the big cat by berkley 20 and 30 and got snag and pulled the boat lol. Hard to snap big cat. as far as the big game i never sold much of it in the bait shop cause no one liked it for cats. But liked it for bass so sold alot of 8lb to 12 lb big game.

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I tried some 30lb big game line once and had the same problem. For the first month it was great, after that you could break the 30lb line like it was 6lb test. I solved this problem by switching back to sufix brand line.

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Could be a combination of factors...stretched line has about half the strength so try trimming your line back. The sun will weaken mono over time so I change mine often since I fish days mostly. Check your weights...some will have rough/sharp edges to the holes which will constantly scrape your line. Stretched and scraped line will give way without much effort at all.

12. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    SubnetZero,

Something else to check. I use Trilene Big Game exclusivey for flats and find it to be very good. You don't say anything about the bead your using on the Carolina rig. Heavy line and large swivels make for a hard impingement of the line between the bead and swivel if the hole in the bead is too small. This will cut the line at the knot.

I started buying beads at Michael's craft store. First pic below are of 25-lb big game, 1/0 swivel, and two different beads. Second is same tied with double clinch knot. Note in each how the smaller bead rides on the knot, and the larger bead takes the weight of the sinker on the swivel loop, free of the knot. Third pic is relative size of the hole in the beads. I buy the bigger ones about 700 in a bag for maybe $4.00.

One other idea. If you have used your mono line in a lake or pond that has been treated with an algaecide (copper sulfate - also known as bluestone) to remove the scum moss, your line is going to be brittle. Only takes one exposure to ruin the line.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Attached Files:

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I use some beads I picked up in Walmarts Craft Section.. I'll double check though to see how it rides on the knot... Thanks!!

Also, looks like I may need to make a run to Michael's

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I had 2 spools of the 20 lb Big Game "Supreme" line from Wally World that would break every time I'd pull a knot tight - and I wasn't putting more than a few pounds of pull on it to tighten the knot.

Switched to 30 lb Big Game Solar green and haven't had any problems.

Suspect it was old or otherwise bad line.

15. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm always weary when I buy line from wally-world because I'm usually bying 20lb+ and no one around here usually using anything that big so it has been around.

I like big game but after this year I'm probally gonna stop using it and use suffix tritanium and superior for leaders.

Josh

16. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    ive never had a problem with big game line i have a 12 and 15 pound test. when i fish by sunken timber i usualy pull the tree in.:eek:oooh:

17. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've been using big game 25lb green, mainly cause its readily available at Wal Mart. Strong as hell, until you snag and break some off. I noticed the remaining line looking lighter in color. I recall reading somewhere on here that, if you say grab the line and break from a snag, the line between your hands and the snag has stretched and cannot be relied upon. Depending on how much line you have out, this might mean cutting off 25 yards or more. I've made the mistake of only cutting off a little section at the end (a few feet) and having a fish break the line later. But I recommend this line. I like it better than stren 25lb. Just my opinion, but I tried the stren 25, and grabbing the line on a snag, could break it easier than the big game, I have a slice in my hand just starting to heal currently.

18. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use the big game solar green as well. The lighter color you're referring to is from keeping your rods exposed to daylight conditions more so than night conditions. I noticed it more on my reels this year too. I started fishing more daylight hours than usual and have left my rods in the boat several times with the sun beating down on them. However, I haven't noticed the line weakenng any due to the faded color. Hope this helps brother, I definitely recommend this line.

19. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    IMHO, biggest killers of monofiliment:
    1. Heat - Watch where you store your rods. The attic, enclosed in a vehicle or boat and storage sheds does the most damage. It's bad for rods too.
    2. Stretch - Remember to cut your line off from the reel after breaking off from a snag. Wet your line before tightening the knot.
    3. Nicks - Check the last few feet of your line each time you reel in if you are fishing around rocks or snags. Check after every fish and cut off and re-tie as soon as you feel abrasions. Use beads to protect knots from sinker and swivel impact.
    4. UV Exposure. Most premium mono (including Big Game) are impregnated with UV protection. This will wear down with repeated exposure or age. Don't store line or rods exposed to the elements. Replace line annually.
    5, Age.

I like high capacity reels filled with mono. I really like big game, just keep it fresh.
    Jeff

20. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    That Blakemore line lube or whatever it is called seems to help my line last longer.

I also use spiderwire a lot and love it. Eventually I hope all my cat rigs have it.