Question for all you tough guys

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by 223reload, Aug 12, 2008.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have shot a 243 for close to thirty years ,I am thinking of getting a new caliber rifle in the future. My thoughts are leaning toward the winchester super short mag line. notably the 25wssm. My question is ,I want a larger caliber rifle ,but I don't want a bunch of recoil to go with it. My son has a 7/08 and I love it ,just want something a lil different. I have shot rifles with muzzle brakes ,thats not an option. if its that loud ,I don't want it. What are some good low recoil rounds in the .25 to .30 cal range that dont kick .

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    It's kind of a biased opinion, but i'm pretty fond of the .308. lol In my opinion, it does not hard kick, and it'll take down most any game that you want to hunt with it. JMO

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i would say a 270 or a 308.either one would take down pretty much anything in north america.

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    25-Ø6 is a good choice.(My next barrel for my NEF)
    So is the 7mm-Ø8.
    257 Roberts is a classic.

:004:

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If rich sporting tradition has any bearing, .250-3000 Savage or 7x57 Mauser. They've both killed a ton of game.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I remember shooting a 25/06 about 25 years ago,Will. Thats why I don't own one:angry:,I am thinking 7mm/08or possibly 257,but i aint making any firm decisions as f yet ,just a dream gun in the works.

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    older 264 Win mag, 270 Win and 280Rem.

But I will tell you, if you ever go 300 mag you will never want to leave!

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    270 is a real sweet gun. I really like mine.

9. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I LOVE my Sendero in 25/06, I HATE the bullet availability for them. There are more weights in the last 4-5 years but there are still some numbers that are hard to get ahold of and a few that need to be made. I got some 127gr solids once that I took a 230lb wild hog at just over 160 yds and it blew out the complete far side shoulder on exit. I have never found any more and the guy I got them from was going to have them made but did not see enough market for them.
    The 25/06 is a great gun but I would not carry it on an ELK hunt. Many people carry them there but I do not hunt ELK every year and bullet placement with a smaller caliber is a PREMIUM!
    IF I was building a light (Carry in the field all day), flat shooting, and hard hitting ( I would be looking for a GOOD BC) rifle it would be a synthetic stock, stainless combo in 270WSM. Bullets are available for light skinned animals and varmints and there are heavy bonded bullets for larger game.

10. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Darn Richard, a lot of choices here but I still pick up a 30-06 first, the 25-06 is another good one, have a 7mm mag that I like, a 7-08 I shoot a lot. There are some guns that for some reason kick like a mule. My 25-06's are a dream to shoot but I had a Remington 270 once that would turn my shoulder black so maybe you shot one like that. I shoot up to a 7mm mag with no problem but
    some of the bigger mags hurt so I tend to limit my shooting to the smaller cal.
    I like the older cals better as I can find brass and loaded ammo easier and elk is the biggest thing I hunt anymore so the 30-06 and 7mm mag does everything I need.

11. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    7.62x39 yugo sks :smile2: killem all let the game warden sortem out :big_smile: :cool2:

12. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never shot a 270 but my uncle loves his and my dad has a 308 and a 300 wsm and i have shot them and think that they are awesome. My buddy has a 7mm rem mag and neither of these kick as hard but have the same range of effectiveness ir at least real close to it.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The caliber doesn't matter to me . It's just the recoil of the big guns I can live without. I will be reloading all my ammo anyway. I appreciate all your help,I can handle a 12 ga 3" mag pretty well,but I don't shoot it from the bench for 30 rounds either, I guess I am looking for a caliber with some downrange thump that wont beat me up ,cause I like to just punch paper at times and 30-`100 rounds is a real possibility. so You can understand where I'm coming from.

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I shoot a weatherby in a 270 winchester caliber, had it for years. I love this round but if i were to buy another it would prolly be the 260. No kick, and enuff punch. My boss has one and it's a flat shooting round.

15. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I UNDERSTAND!!!! We used to go to the range at 7am and be there till 7-8pm when they closed. We would use up 1-300 rounds per gun we took and that could be well over 30 guns.
    You reload your own, that helps out A LOT and opens HUGE doors if you want to build one rather than buy off the shelf. A 270/08 would be a fun gun or a 6.5/06. A friend built a 6.5/08 and a 7mm/08 and both shoot VERY VERY well and neither are hard on the shooter. His son (10yo) put 200 rounds down range getting ready for a white tail hunt with the 6.5. The same friend built a 30/30 bolt action that is a BLAST and you can shoot any bullet out of it, not just the soft points. We spent a whole day in my back yard shooting 30 caliber round balls in 30/30 shells with different powder charges just playing around with it and my 70yo lever action. he also has a 35/30-30 lever action.
    I have always wanted to put together a 338/06 or a 35 Whelen.

16. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    You look like a good ol boy, I think a Marlin 30-30 lever would suit you to a tee!!.. not too bad in price, I put the high rise scope rings on mine so I can shoot with the iron sight as well, not to mention cheap ammo and easy on the shoulder

17. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I love my .270 win.It will take any game in north america .

18. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I prefer the .308 its a good flat shooting caliber without too much recoil.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A .308 in a heavy barreled version is a pussy cat.
    I imagine in something like a Model 7 it wouldnt be near as tame but to give you an idea I shoot a Remington 700 VS SF in .308.
    Shooting prone I'll lay the bill of my hat right on the scope when I shoot.
    My hat never moves. There is no muzzle break on the gun. What tames it is weight. If you go for a smaller frame type rifle my preference would be to opt for a Walnut stock to keep some weight in it.

I became recoil shy after shooting some calibers I had no business shooting and my shooting thereafter paid dearly for it. It took me a LONG time to get comfortable behind a centerfire after that having someone load my gun one bullet at the time and me firing. There might have been a live round in the chamber or there might have been a spent round. I wasn't in the know until I pulled the trigger. Thats how I broke the bad habits. Now a 2 liter bottle at a 450 yards wiith optics and factory ammunition doesn't stand on average a 1 in 10 chance of surviving.

Having said that there is no way I would mislead you down the wrong path.

I read an article once written by a writer that went to visit one of the "old legends" in rifle shooting. He was intent on trying to impress the guy so he selected some magnums to take out for the visit and some shooting.
    The first thing the man told him was that thing is going to knock your block off and it did. It drew blood.

You have to get into something you feel comfortable with.
    Some years ago I broke an elbow and wanted to get back to shooting as soon as possible. I was talking to a syndicated writer I know that probally has more guns then most gun stores. He told me to ride out and pick up a .260 he had got not long ago and use it. The .260 is another caliber built off the .308. It also was a pleasant shooter.

My nephew killed a deer at 252 yards with that .308 on the first centerfire round he had ever fired in his life. He is small framed. Maybe 120 pounds soaking wet when he pulled that shot off. I watched him shoot it twice more not looking at the target but looking at him. He never flinched or blinked. What a natural.