Question For all you flathead Catfish fishermen

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Jighead07, May 27, 2009.

1. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    There are some flatheads that have began showing up in my home lake (lanier) here in Ga. Most have been caught uplake that I know of, many on accident by bass fishermen. What is the best way to target these fish in the daytime during the summer ? Any help would be appreciated.

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Tony, I am by no means a master Flathead hunter like some people here on the BOC.

However I would target structure like laydown trees and bigger rocks smaller rocks for smaller fish and bigger rock for bigger fish.

Do you have a boat or are you bank fishing??

I would use fresh cut bait of any fish that you can catch there at the lake you plan on fishing and thats legal to use in your state.

Hope this helps:wink::smile2:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    everything that shelby says..plus I would try to find the deepest water on the lake and give it a shot in the daytime.

4. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info guys. The area I am fishing will be uplake close to where the river comes in. It is mainly a narrow channel with some deep holes and shallow areas. there are a few pockets and creeks feeding into it.As far as bait, should I use live or cutbait. I can get gizzard shad, bream, or baby catfish. And yes, I will be in a boat.

5. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    I would use the bream. The bigger, the better! They will eat just about anything they come across, but the bream seem to stay more lively and are easier to keep alive longer. IF available, white perch would be even better.

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Check the member library. There is an article on lake fishing for flatheads. I don't fish any lakes but I have read several people on here that like to use a float on lakes.

P.S. IF YOUR THE FIRST ONE TO ACTUALLY TARGET THEM IT COULD BE FREAKING AWESOME!!!!

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    As mentioned earlier, try to find the deeper water...If you have a depth finder, try to concentrate on holes that come from sharp drop offs rather than gradual...start working the hole from front to back...in all honesty this is stuff I am experimenting with...so no guarantees that I know what Im talking about...lol!

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    during the day i'd use large live bait(sunnies, gills) and target deeper water around some type of cover or structure, look for bends in the river those are usually where the channel runs, at nite live bait tighter to the shore around structure, this seems to work for me

9. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks guys, this is enough info to get me started. As I said, this is a new fishery in this lake and from what I hear they reproducing prety good. I'll stick with the deeper water uplake, that is where all the reports are coming from