Question fer fish eaters

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfish kenny, Aug 22, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    how many pounds of fish do you think your boat harvest per yr or bank fisher how much????what river???-I am on the Sippi and If I am guessing right upto 300lbs yr is taken and ate out of my boat from fries to giving a neighbor a fillet when I zip em up....pounds of a yrs catch 1000 or better just guessing and next yr I am gonna record and see cause could be interesting info to know...I know I chucked bout 40lbs back the other day when I didnt want to clean just fish(LOL)they was all live wasnt cprin either just funnin so a 3/1000 ?????just guessing.....Id say the average size fish is 3-8lbs on any given day with a potential monster....It aint nuttin to catch 30lbs of fillets on a good day.....fishing is prety good here!

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    oh boy should I say, here we go again. this is sure to ignite a bit of a spat between the CPR and harvest-is-my-choice guys.

When you say fish, do you mean catfish only?

I can assure you I am no big threat to fish populations in 2007 I caught 62 harvested fish totalling a dinky 29.2#. I caught no catfish, instead I've been an ECOLOGICAL role model:smile2:, having mostly kept the panfish- perch, rockbass, and bullheads. Oh and some stocked trout that were stocked in such quantity that they would certainly have died by the summer.

I've been more interested in catfish since the summer of 07 but have kept few. I've added a good bit of walleye to the total, my 08 records are incomplete but will be precise to the tenth of a pound, I assure you :smile2: once I finish my years notes (and stick it in an excel worksheet).:wink:

I fish the alleghany here in NW pennsylvania and there's not really any serious pressure on the catfish populations.
    catfish isn't popular enough in PA IMHO. apparently not the case in the midwest or the south.

3. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    How much we harvest has everything to do with the water levels in the Neosho River during the spring spawning runs.

If the level is down enough where it doesnt go over the local low water dam...the fish coming up from Grand Lake, Okla. get "stuck" at the dam. (Concentrating them there)

This year...the water levels SUCKED!

The fish constantly kept moving up above the dam and further north out of our range due to the longest period of high water here that I EVER recall. (March and still counting)

This years harvest between my fishing partner and I has been roughly about 1500 lbs of blues, channel, and flathead. (probably only about a 1/3 of what we'll get during a normal year...but there's still alot of time left in '08)

Keep in mind...we fish aout five days a week on average during the runs...and the run lasts from about roughly April through June.

When it starts to get hot...we're more relegated down to 2 ...MAYBE 3 days a week.

When it cools down...we start going more again.

Caught LOTS of 10 to 20 lb blues...but the 30 and 40 lb blues were a rarity this year. (Last year they were much more common)

Now...if we're including spoonbill...well now that's a whole other thing.

We released over 300 spoonies that were over 40 lb...and god knows how many that were under 40 lb. (We'd catch about 25 - 30 sows between the two of us per trip)

We caught numerous 50...60...70 lb fish. The biggest was my buddy's 98 lb. (My biggest was 75 lb)

Throw in those spoonbill...along with the white bass, wiper, walleye, crappie, perch, trout, largemouth I've managed to get as well...and that there would be a WHOLE lot of fillets had we kept them all.

We kept probably 2 dozen spoonbill this year...probably 150 lb of catfish...along with about 10 gallons of crappie fillets...10 gallons or so of whitebass...hundreds if not thousands of black perch, bluegill, pumpkinseed, and red ear....sadly we've only gotten about a dozen walleye thus far. (But that's just begun)

All of THOSE fish...will be...or already have been released into 350 degree Canola oil! :wink:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, I haven't been able to catch all we'd like to eat for a while now, because of my health. But, when I can catch them, I'd say that my family & guests will eat 200#-300# of fish a year. Most would be catfish, but some stripers would also be included. Crappie, when I can get them (rarely); and probably one or two messes of bream a year. Of course, when I'm fishing with others (usually), they get to keep what they can use. And unless I'm really desperate for fish to eat, I turn back catfish over 10# or so. Fish doesn't go to waste at my house: I fry it; broil it; bake it; make fish salad, mock shrimp, and jerky out of it.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah lets say cats then a # on all .... man I start counting bait(gills) to cause ya eat them to woo wee.....possibly nutter 50lbs there....
    this is non debatible No feather ruffling question....Please no CPR stuff just a simple # & if we must go there You will not like my take because its prety much layed out by the law...Its mine if I leagally catch it & no matter the size if I choose to eat it I can any questions?MY fish Oh and I can photo it befor I slay it to:cool2:Law says I can do that to....so please lets not go there.....I am begging you all!:dribble:Same fer you to.....:cool2:not the question here ..............

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am just currious cause like Drew we eat alot of fish ...we are river folk in this home & I am currious to see the different # location etc fer personl intrest inquiren mind wanna know(LOL)Its all bout the belly full of fun:smile2:Thanks fer the replies fellas!

7. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    When I am fishing I keep usually about 300 lbs of fillets, I solely catfish. I probably catch 1000 to 1500 in a good year.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Right on Boomer thank you!:cool2:

9. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    OK, good agreed. This is not a CPR thread. I am solidly for you having the option to Keep anything allowed by the law.

No doubt about it, for me- my harvest revolves around how many I can catch; how many I can Eat, and whether I would want to eat it. AND brother , around here so far as I can tell- the littlier fish are tastier than the big ones, and easier to get. If I fished for food; I would never chase the sparse catfish; but like I did in 07; Rockbass, perch, bullheads, stockie trout perhaps some walleye and bass...

In Pennsylvania, the poundage for any catter would just by neccessity be small. The state record catfish (of any kind) is Only in the 40#'s. but as you would soon notice it you visited our board, the bulk of our trophy fisheries are in large polluted rivers near the two major cities... Any man routinely eating the states largest 30-40# cats would no doubt get a horrible disease... I mean in this rivers, the pollution is bad enough- we're actually having HE-SHE fish...
    No the gluttons of PA are walleye fishermen and stockie trout fishermen (some of which make an actual career out of catching the bulk of the stocked trout allotment). That (eating out the stock trouts allotment) IS an argumentative topic, INDEED , but only for a trout fishing board I spose'.

Anyway River Harvest folks out of the ssippi are sure going to see things differently here than in the polluted OR sparse catfishing holes of PA...

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I never thought about it,Kenny. I will keep a log of it this year to be sure,My take over the past two years has been considerably less than 50 lbs tho ,and that includes all fishies.

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kenny, believe it or not I try and fish every week to 10 days, I catcha lot of fish. I just don't talk about it or where I fish or what I use or how I do it. There are enough people here to make up for me yapping about it.

I don't like to kill much of anything anymore after a lifetime of doing it. Everything except for stocked trout, esp. trout gone wild above and below state stocked areas in private water that I have access to do I keep. Catfish are all thrown back in. Rarely will I keep some to put in my ponds. I don't target big fish, I could care less. I won't eat any kind of river fish. I don't fish bass because I don't like their taste. My best fish is Crappie and then Walleye, but around here they are all river fish and I just won't eat them.

If I were to put a number on poundage I would say a 100 lbs. I don't weigh any fish. None others, except for a dozen or so lbs of trout are eaten.

Personally I like seafood. Crabs, lobster, et. al.

If I could I would fish seafood waters all the time.

Later, John.

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thank you beetle & load Everyone!

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Some years I will keep 1000 lbs.Now that is in the rough. But a lot of our fish fry's are for 30+ here. And some are for 75+. We have 3 or 4 at church per year. I have some older neighbors that enjoy fish, but not able to get out. So I clean and take them fish.
    Pete

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I haven't kept much at all this year - I think I've cleaned 2 small fish all summer:smile2: I've been fishing a bit different this year, though, mainly just looking for big fish. That's cut down the number of channels that I catch while fishing for blues. I'll typically eat more channels than anything because they tend to be the smallest fish that I catch. My wife won't hardly eat fried fish anymore, so it's just me and the boys eating fish most of the time. A 5 or 6 pounder is a meal for us so if I have 15 or 20# of fish in the freezer that will last us most of the year.

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Does long john Silvers count. :smile2:

LOL, that's like asking me how much toilet paper I use in a year. Its something I dont keep up with. Just like I never kept up with how many pounds of fish or anything else I eat a year. I aint starting now. I got enough logs in the fire than to start another log book on my belly intake. I can say I dont waste fish, or toilet paper. LOL. I can guess at one thing,
    my hunger pains. I have bout 3 a day to satisfy my hunger , X's 365 days = 1095 hunger pains a year. :tounge_out:
    I could eat fish a couple times a week but it dont always work out that way. :sad2:

Anyway, I promise I'm not a problem on the fish population in my parts. I do love eating catfish, crappie, bream, crawfish and just bout any kind of seafood, throw in a nice juicy T-bone steak and tatter with sour cream , real butter, salt, pepper and Jal peppers on the side, cold beer or sweet ice tea and I'm a full belly happy camper that can sit around any camp fire causing an occasional flash fire, now and then.:smile2:

When I fish . I dont target trophies , be hunting or fishing. I do go hopeing to bring home a meal or 2. I never waste my catch or kill and I also dont waste toilet paper. Which reminds me, I got a 10lb bag of cats in the freezer, think I'll fry me some up today. :cool2:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems when fish eating comes up it turns into a CPR Vs keeping a few to eat so i might as well throw this in for fun. :roll_eyes:
    Folks should worry bout their own areas and own taste in foods and the laws that apply to it. Each area is different. Many places cant even eat their fish cause they dropped the ball and let it become polluted. Guess its long john Silvers for them. LOL.
    My parts, there is no shortage on catfish and many folks seem to be catching both huge fish and eaters so I eat all I can and let the rest go. Main damage to cats or any other fish in my parts is pollution. And by reading this site for years, it seems a lot of areas has dropped the ball and let pollution over come their fishing population. Pollution is why I dont fish places that has warnings on eating fish. not only is it not good to eat fish out of polluted lakes and rivers, it puts a hurting on fish population and breeding effects aint good. pollution ruins quality breeding and kills fish.
    Pollution is the biggest eater of our fish population problem on Trophies and eaters.
    I think "jolie ' is right on talking bout HE-SHE fish. in polluted waters. I have seen some nasty strange looking catfish come out of some polluted areas in my parts. I'm glad not all lakes have been effected by pollution.
    I dont care for both , but I think pollution has a bigger effect on killing fish and breeding than the lower % of those who waste and or take more than the legal amount. Think about it. Pollution. Same with any other living things that re produces. Humans screw up their bodies and babies when drinking alcohol, doing drugs etc. while pregnant.
    Any animal that eats or drinks pollution, under nourished etc. can have a screwed up re production system, they produce defective off spring or become unable to produce offspring. Same with fish. Polluted fish produce polluted eggs that may or may not survive and or might cause a huge fish with good genes to produce little fish, if they can even have.

16. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I like to release all the flatheads I catch because I dont catch that many.
    Channel cats taste bad compared to blues so they all go back too.....

I keep two 1/2 gallon bags of bluecat fillets in the freezer and when we eat one I will keep a few to replace the bag. We normally only eat fish about once a month so 12-1/2 gallon bags of fillets a year does us.

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dang Dano easey buddy-I am just curious fer the house aspect there is 5 in my home and we eat alot of fish & game...Everychance we get Its one of them things-throw it :cool2:in the fire buddy

18. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    There appears to be a misconception about some CPR's not keeping catfish to eat. I could rattle off twenty some in my area, most of which are members of the BOC, that keep 3 to 10 pound Ark. Blues for tablefare. I do it every Monday when I go out to scout for guide trips for the coming week. My take from these trips is approx. twenty pounds (estimate only) per trip, consisting of four to six fish, undressed (whole fish) times 52 weeks is 1,040 pounds. Our state DNR people will tell you that to have a heathy fisheries, you need to take out 20 plus (estimate only without a study) pounds per acre of fish per year from the lake or river that you fish.

But, you can look at rivers, like the James and the TVA lakes in Tenn. and most people do not harvest those fish due to Mercury, etc. and they have one of the best fisheries for large/trophy fish that you can find.

Who's right, I don't know! But I do keep some fish to eat and that was the question.

19. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    LOL, I didnt mean to sound like I'm coming on strong. Just typed a post for fun. LOL Guess I have read too many post and kind up base some of my typeing by rolling them all up in one.:tounge_out::roll_eyes:

Speaking of throwing it on the fire. Later tonight I'll be sitting round a fire with a couple of buds:wink: and a couple of buds. I think we will be causeing a few flash's in the fire. :smile2:

Sorry for the pounds per person question. I dont know the answer for me.

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey its all good...I gotta love it.....you cant ask something and not to expect to get it answeare(LOL).Hope Mac understands when I say this & takes no offence cause I think alot of him .....
    the issue of cpr is gettin under me skin....I cant release the big ones or the small ones if I am in the mood and want to butcher....I catch it ....?????I just dont know either hell all this talk of taste blah-blah-blah ....you prep em right they all are tastey:roll_eyes: shoot have a cold one fer me tonight I am gion to be in the boat -dont do booze & boat so ...tonight might be catch & grease or catch & release I dont know yet we aint there have a good one!