Question - Channel catfish in shallow lake

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Mike Nichols, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Mike Nichols

Mike Nichols New Member

I found a lake to fish in that has a mossy muddy bottom & is only about 10-12 ft. deep at its deepest point. No cover in water such as trees, limbs, etc. Grassy bank all the way around. There are a few cattails in the shallows. Would I be better off fishing tightline on the bottom for channels or possibly using a float rig? I always use nightcrawlers for bait & sometimes cut fish. I know catfish tend to come into the shallows at night to feed. Any suggestions?

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I would try a slip float rig, so you can set the bait at the desired depth. I would try using stinkbait or liver for bait. If there is any other species of fish, they would probably devour your nightcrawlers. Using the dip baits or liver may up the odds on specifically catching cats.:0a26::0a18:

Mark..

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey night crawlers and chicken liver if it dont have no structure in the water such as trees and stuff like that you can fish off some of the sand bars in the lake and alot of time at night the cats will come toward them sandbars and be feeding off some bait fish.

4. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Try a slip rig and if that don't work. Try some thing else. learning is what fishing is about.:wink:

5. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC.:wink:

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would try some chicken livers right on the bottom with a small slip sinker on a carolina rig. I fished that way in a small pond and tore up some good 5-10lb channelcats. Good luck!:big_smile:

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Id use a slip rig right now and in the summer fish on the bottom.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    liver or cutbait would probably be fine. depending on the size of the lake, i might not use a sinker.