Question bout hooking bluegills..

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by gportsbaseball, Jun 26, 2009.

1. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    ok i posted this in the flathed section as well, but i want some fellow ohioans to answer this.

ok so i fished seneca lake for some flathead, i had really good sized( bout 6-8in) bluegill for bait. well i have a 2oz no roll sinker, but that bluegill would tug on it and move left and right...so then i tried putting a 4oz no roll sinker on, he just pulled the line left and right. How can i keep that bluegill from pulling my weight cross the bottom, and having it only be able to swim the length of my leader?(14 in leader)

2. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Get a reel with adjustable clicker drag(tension knob).A bluegill shouldn't be able to pull a 4oz no roll too far.Thats as big a sinker I go and I'll use 12 inch Largemouth,carp or drum with no problems

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    yeah i just use a 2 oz egg sinker and put a rubber band about 14 inches up from my hook , and i use good size baits and they dont pull my line around.

4. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    You must have some lively gills! Try 6oz if it still moves it's not the bluegill.

5. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I allways hook bait fish through the tail section of their body. This may cut down on the swimming,not sure,but 2oz. is plenty of weight. Ron

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Why complain? I get tired of checking to see if my gills are still alive lol! You are getting more coverage for free. If a big flattie wants him, ain't no way that gill is gonna escape! You can hook that bugger through the notril and hold his head down like they do bulls.

7. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Try cutting half to 3/4's of it's tail off. That'll give it less swimming power AND make it's swimming erratic, which will help sound the dinner bell to any flats in the neighborhood.

8. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Make the dorsal fin go bye bye, and hook them above the anal fin. Cutting the dorsal will make him swim very unstable, putting out more vibrations in the water and making him look more injured. This will more than likely slow him down some too.

I'm sure taking a chunk of their dorsal will reduce life span, though.

9. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    I agree with loanwizard, hook it right through the nostrels, or you could do as some have suggested by trimming the fins, ive done this also before, but a lively gill like that is bound to attract something big and your not having to do any work to cover some area to attract flats in...

10. all_4_Flatcats

all_4_Flatcats New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I too would say hook them through the nostrils. Besides catfish, like most other game fish go for the head first of bait fish. Also doing this gives you a greater chance of a successful hook set....

11. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'm with loanwizard on this one, why complain. I would love to find a way to make my bait move even more. I don't care if they move all over the river or lake. The more the better but that is my thoughts only.

12. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    imo you can hook the gill any where you want and still get a good hook set! when a flat takes the bait it usually inhales the hole bait. even a 6-8 lber will take a whole gill the size of your hand!! i hook them just behind the dorsal and don't trim nothing, if it starts falling to sleep i just give a little tug on the line and it wakes him right back up!!

13. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Try hooking them in the forehead. You can't lead a horse by the tail and the same thing applies here. They just go in a circle. And you don't drown them when you reel them in.

14. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    No real good answer from myself on the issue of the gill moving that much but I'd be happy if the bait I was using moved that much. I hook mostly through the top rear dorsal. Usually after a few the gill will sorta just settle down tho in my experiences. A 2 oz. seems very appropriate for weight tho. Hope this input helps somewhat. Good luck in your fish ventures.

15. shotscott

shotscott New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    man did i learn a lot from this thread, Thanks all:big_smile: Scott

16. the grizzly

the grizzly New Member

State:
    ohio
    [shouldnt that be illegal in OHIO
    :crazy::angry:

17. the grizzly