question bout hooking bluegills..

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by gportsbaseball, Jun 26, 2009.

1. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    ok so i fished seneca lake for some flathead, i had really good sized( bout 6-8in) bluegill for bait. well i have a 2oz no roll sinker, but that bluegill would tug on it and move left and right...so then i tried putting a 4oz no roll sinker on, he just pulled the line left and right. How can i keep that bluegill from pulling my weight cross the bottom, and having it only be able to swim the length of my leader?(14 in leader)

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Try a 3 way rig.
    Are you tightlining or freespooling?

3. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    tightlining

4. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    thats a stumper!! i use 3 1/2 - 4 oz. in pretty good current and hav'nt had that problem!! shane

5. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Justin
    I use live bluegills for flatheads as big as I can get them. I also use a 2 oz. egg sinker but i trim the bluegills tail fin short with a pr. of scissors as well as trim the dorsal fin down. I hook them behind the head about a half inch under the dorsal. This method has been very effective for me and the trimming seems to calm the bream down enough to keep them from swimming away with the weight.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i go with foxjounds methed with big gammas , not the circals the octo js

7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Same exact thing I do. Works great.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use 5 to 8 oz no-rolls depending on the current,mainly 5,s,bigger baits I,ll bump up to 6 or 8.I use a short leader-5 to 6 inches,don,t have a problem with them running around.:wink:

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont think its a bad thing for your gill to swim around a little it atracts flatheads, the thrashyer the better, i beleiv