Question: Baitclicker or No Baitclicker

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by thex1224, May 21, 2008.

1. thex1224

thex1224 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I had a genral question for anyone who might have an opinion on the subject.

I am using circle hooks, and i am wondering if i am better off using the baitlicker, and letting the fish run with the bait for a while before i reel down on him, or, not using the the baitclicker, and lettting the circle hook set itself as the fish pulls on the rod?

Thanks for any advice on which will lead to more hook-ups.... Tight Lines

2. Cajunkicker

Cajunkicker New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Seems I've always had better results with a tight line and baitclicker on, drag fairly tight. They usually hook themselves on #7 or #8 circle hooks, and I even leave the rods in the holders until he really starts to run with it. I have seen many local catfishermen that seemed to use the same technique.
    :big_smile:

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I was told that if you use Circle Hooks not to use the baitclicker..They run with the bait but don't hook up. After told that it does make sense.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont use a bait clicker with circles but some folks do.

5. thex1224

thex1224 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Guys,

Maybe having a relatively loose bait clicker has caused me to not get hooked up on a few. I might give a few a try with no baitclicker on, and see if the hook up ratio improves....

6. Cajunkicker

Cajunkicker New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Good idea Mike. Be sure to let us know the results of your experiment!:big_smile:

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    This past weekend the wife and I were fishing using circle hooks. She was using the clicker and I was not. I caught more fish but this was her first with circle hooks. On one 6 pound blue I caught I was taking a smaller one off of one of my rods so I put the other one with the clicker on. Low and behold it took off. By the time I got to it it had pulled a lot of line out. Engaged the reel and reeled down pulled back lightly and he was hooked. The one the wife caught the clicker was off. I will not use the clicker unless I am not near the rods. I feel like you get more hook up without it.

Tom

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I wouldn't use a clicker and a circle hook. It's just too hard to let it do it's thing if you pick up the rod and the fish isn't hooked yet. Just let it sit in the holder until it looks like the rod is going to break and he's there. If you're going to use the clicker stick with J-hooks. Engage the reel, reel down to him and if you feel him hammer his butt.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've nailed 250 fish this year using circle hooks with my clicker/drag set tight. You just have to have it tight enough so the rod loads and the hooks sets. That's the only trick to circle hooks...let em load and reel em in.

-Jim-

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    jim,

i agree with you let the rod do the work , you can still use the clicker when it strips the drag the clicker will sound:big_smile:

11. thex1224

thex1224 New Member

State:
    North Carolina

Well i went out tonight off of a community dock, one rod with the clicker on , the other with it off. The rod with the clicker off had the only bite, the rod doubled over instantly, I picked it up and cranked imediatly, and only had the fish on for about 10 seconds. The bait was gone, never got a hok in him. I guess after reading this post, i need to let the fish stay there for a while, when using cicle hooks?? This wasonly my 5th time trying for cats, guess it was a rookie mistake......?

As a Rookie, am i better off using J hooks, or learning to be patient with Circle hooks? I only have 2 catfishing rods, so i dont get distracted from them (I'm like a dog on point)...?

Any advice is greatly appreciated....

12. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    As long as you have enough hook gap after putting your bait on you should be ok. Let it load and reel in as you did.

Sometimes ya just miss them..it's part of fishin ; )

-Jim-

13. Delisleba

Delisleba New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use my clicker at all times with circle hooks or any hook for that matter. So I know when the fish is there say taking a bathroom break or whatever, I mean what if you are not near the pole and the big one bites and hooks up, sounds like a good way to lose a pole. When it clicks I just turn the handle lock up the spool and let the rod load up and the circle hook does its thing.

14. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I think its all about personal prefrence and fishing style. if you found a way to catch em with the clicker on then keep it that way if you find yourself with the clicker off and cant hook em then turn it on and try. It plays off the old sayin. If it aint broke dont fix it. good luck and tight lines:wink:

15. Fingerlakes Fisher

Fingerlakes Fisher New Member

State:
    New York
    I fished the last two nights and used a clicker and circles on a carolina rig with bluegills on my stout rods. On my medieum rods I had a slip bobber rig and circle hooks. I hooked up almost everytime on the slip bobbers and circles landing 12 channels and two nice Blues weighing about 15 lbs. I had 6 good runs last night on the carolina rig with the circles and only one fish hooked and landed. I have been questioning my setup on the clicker rig since then. I would engage the reel after about 30 yards being ripped off and feel the fish for abiut 5 seconds. After that, nothing. The one fish hooked on that rig was an accident when I forgot to set the clicker and left it engaged. He hooked himself. I am guessing it is better to let the reel be engaged and let the rod load. Still experimenting with the clicker and circles but am not having much luck hooking up on long runs and circles. Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way, thank you Grizz for introducing me to this site. I met you a couple weeks ago on a Tuesday night adventure. I caught a lot of fish in the same spot on Sunday and Monday of this week. They are there man! thanks for the intro to Catfish1.

16. thex1224

thex1224 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the info Kevin.

Sounds like you were missing fish the same way i have been missing fish.

I think i am going to just forget about the clicker for a while, and maybe duck tape the rod to the holder just incase the big one comes when i'm not looking.

Tight Lines

17. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Ok, I think I see the difference between some of our methods here.

I never, ever, ever, leave my reel on open spool with the clicker on. I always have the reel locked down, with the clicker on but I keep the drag reasonably tight. When a fish hits It thrashes the rod and if they are strong they will pull the drag slightly sounding the clicker. If its a real big fish I can move my star drag a hair to stop him form running all my line. We run 13rods and a clicker sound helps you find what rod is being attacked in the dark.

As far as free spooling with a clicker on...I wouldnt expect that you will get the full effect of the circle hooks.

I hope this helps some.

-Jim-

18. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I always use the bait clicker, it gives me time to prepare to catch the fish. Just the way I do it but you don't have to with circles.